1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Boots up to desktop and no further, cant load many programmes or directories

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MadRue, Jul 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MadRue

MadRue Thread Starter

Hello,

I would be grateful of any help with this problem and I hope other users can seek guidance from this thread.

Recently I restarted my PC only to find that it would boot all the way into Windows XP but would not get past the loading of the desktop. I am now unable to view the desktop, the icons or the active desktop elements. Together with this, the taskbar is very sluggish and many programmes will not load. From this I have also discovered that I can not access My Computer or any HDD directories. As soon as I try, the computer gets very sluggish and eventually gives us stating that the directory could not be found.

In viewing the Task Manager, I can clearly see no difference except two processes that I have not come across before. They are called, dumprep.exe and dwwin.exe. From research on the internet I have found out this is related to Windows XP reg dump doctor, and this is usually related to a software problem which can result in a reg dump.

Let me also add that when I restart, shut down or Log off, before it gets to the process of doing so, the End Now window appears asking to End Now on explorer.exe.
    From guidance in other threads I have already run anti virus, anti spyware, anti adware and anti hack software. These have all come up clean. I have also tried emptying various folders such as the windows temp folder.

I am completely stumped on this one.

Please excuse me if I have left out any information, I am not a regular forum user and can easily forget key elements to a problems or solution.

Thank-you.

Regards,

Rue.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!