1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bootup Problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by BrianMJC, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BrianMJC

BrianMJC Thread Starter

Hi all,

I'm a fairly knowledgable computer user but this problem has me stumped. Over the past few weeks, my PC has begun freezing during bootup about 30% of the time, and sometimes soon after logging in.

Specifically, it freezes when the login screen comes up. I will get a blank, black screen instead of the graphical background, with a cursor that works for about 5 seconds before freezing completely. I have to do a hard reboot or shutdown. If rebooting, I must enter Safe Mode and then reboot in normal mode or else it will happen repeatedly; otherwise a shutdown and start will usually succeed as well. Occasionally, it will work fine during login and even load up all startup processes, but then freeze after about 20 seconds of use.

What I've tried so far: I've found no viruses, no adware or spyware with the latest and updated McAfee, Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware programs. I've checked my hard drive for errors, and none showed up. I replaced my HD's IDE cable. I've cleared all temporary folders and internet caches. I have TuneUp Utilities 2006 and undid the last registry cleanup I performed.

Some other possibilities for this that occur to me are as follows:

1. Faulty video adapter? I recently had an ordeal with replacing my video adapter three times within a one month period. My original adapter's fan died and the first two replacement adapters (both used - never again!) were defective. The problem has started only with the installation of this latest video adapter, which makes me suspicious... in fact, the first instance occurred on the first bootup with the new card installed. I am stumped though because all my previous graphics adapter problems demonstrated very different behavior: two displayed graphical "static" and the original worked fine but froze when I ran 3D-intense apps like a 3D modeling program. When it works, my computer does not freeze from 3D apps, nor does it show any static.

2. Windows system corruption? I've had to hard reboot and shutdown more times than I can remember over the past two months. Maybe some of my system files have been corrupted?

I'm thinking I can do either a reinstall or a complete wipe and reinstall of Windows XP and all software... but I really don't want to go through that immense ordeal, especially when the problem might be something else! I'm basically asking, do you think the problem is probably my video adapter, system file corruption, or something else? Thank you so very much for your help.

2. dungeonguard

dungeonguard

Alright, I had almost the exact same problem awhile back with my old PC. The computer guys I went to found out that it was a faulty motherboard. Have you ever had any motherboard problems and could you please provide the model number of that?

Thanks,
    Simon :)

3. BrianMJC

BrianMJC Thread Starter

No I haven't, though it's conceivable something went awry during one of my video adapter fiascos. I've added the motherboard info to my PC profile. Can such damage be tested with any particular software program, or must it be tested with special equipment?

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

Think about input devices especially mouse. Weak batteries on wireless? Loose connection?

5. BrianMJC

BrianMJC Thread Starter

My mouse is not wireless and the connection is firm. Just in case, I pulled it out and my keyboard too to inspect the pins and they're both fine. Thanks anyway.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540252

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice