1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

booy up prmblems

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by adt048, Jan 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. adt048

adt048 Thread Starter

Hi I'm having problems booting up :( and sometimes i can't get into safe mode and when i do ,i tryed all 5 steps and it won't work some times i can get a c: promt and i cd to win98 and then ran setup but it stops in the middle of setup and will not complete ,now whe i go to safe mode i get an erroe message saying can't find windows\command .com and it says to retype the name of the windows\command .com and the a: prompt comes up I tryed but no good i don't know the name that it is looking for and evertime I restart it has a diff error
    Disk I/O error
    install boot disk
    and many missing files that it needs to start windows ,I nee to make a bootable disk can I make a bootable disk from my other computer win98 and how do i do this
    thanks Tony

2. JJJecj71

JJJecj71

Wow you have problems adt048 :( write disk problems it looks like but your missing commands some virtual devices are not start up with the computer.

Make a start up disk. Goto control panel and add/remove and startup disk tab on the very right.

Once done this if you like to reformat the drive, just put that disk in and type in A: prompt Fdisk and follow the steps and enable cd rom support and reinstall windows again.

This is what I would do, other then spending a week or two going through the BIO's .ini files/ win.ini. / boot.ini also.

This isn't good from how your explaining it to me. This is what I would do.
    You can also wait until more users give some other ideas. Good help around here.

3. adt048

adt048 Thread Starter

Hi Jec
    Thanks for the info ,so i should format the drive and reinstall windows but i have win98 2nd ad upgrade I don't think that it will let me do this with an upgrade ,I'll give al this a try tonight and let you know what is going on ,i was hoping there be more replyies on this matter but your the only one will be in touch Thanks Tony

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I'm not absolutely sure about this and hopefully someone else can confirm. But if you have the original installation disk for the system, say Win98 FE, the upgrade may accept that when prompted as confirmation that it is for an upgrade. Otherwise, you would probably have to install that first and upgrade again.

The missing command.com message often occurs when the partition or boot sector information has been corrupted. If you have a startup disk for the installed system, here are a couple of things you can try. Boot with the startup disk and at the a:\> prompt enter:

sys c:

you should get a message "system files transferred"; remove the boot disk and ctrl-alt-del to reboot.

If no luck, you can try returning to the a:\> prompt and enter:

fdisk /mbr

Also, you might try running setup again, but watch for the option to name the folder Windows gets reinstalled to. It should ask you to confirm the reinstall to a particular folder, the default is normally Windows. Try providing another name so that the reinstall doesn't take place to the same folder.

If you don't have a boot disk for the system, you can get a setup file for one here:

http://www.answersthatwork.com/Downright_pages/downrights_bootdisks.htm

And one more thing, if you have the upgrade cd you should reinstall from that, not from the files on the hard drive which may be missing or corrupt. You can do this by accepting CD-Rom support when booting with the startup disk and at the a:\> prompt enter:

e:\setup

You will need your ProductKey to complete setup. If you don't have it, there may be a way to get it off the drive still.

5. adt048

adt048 Thread Starter

Well I'm ready to give up I tried everything and nothing is working I made a startup disk and went to a: prompt type in
    sys C: and the transfer was complete and rebooted and still no good went back to a: prompt type in fdisk/mbr and no good went back to a:prompt again type in e:\setup and it saids e drive not ready now I'm at a lost ?help

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

When you booted with the startup disk, did it indicate that it was loading CD-ROM drivers, and identify the letter assigned the CD-ROM drive? And did you have a Windows CD in the drive when you entered setup? If you have multiple partitions or drives, the letter may not be 'e'; but it is usually one greater than that used by Windows normally.

Where did you get the startup disk that you are using?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112696

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice