1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bored and interested High School Student

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by like 45 ninjas., Mar 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. like 45 ninjas.

like 45 ninjas. Thread Starter

Hi, I'm new here and as some of you may know, I am a high school student. I have way too much free time that I spend playing video games. I am also an experienced computer user and would like to learn more. I have learned some programming languages and other miscellaneous computer things, but I don't know what really to learn. I can find sites offering free programming courses and the like, but I don't know what direction I am going in. At this moment in time, I am eager to learn ANYTHING about computers that I can get my hands on. I would even learn 5 programming languages at once if I had time for it. Can people post links to good sites, articles, tutorials, classes, etc. about computer software, hardware, programming, encryption, operating systems, etc. that I could read and learn, so that hopefully in my future career in computers, I would not be completely helpless in any computer situation.
    -like 45 ninjas.

2. Flags

Flags

If you are interested in anything related to Hardware, Software,OS's, etc. You have arrived.
    This forum has probably the best brains out there. And they are here to help, FREE.
    Spend some time reading these forums and you will get an education you can't get anywhere else.
    There is a lot of saisfaction in helping someone with what he may consider a major problem, but in fact has a relatively simple solution.
    Perhaps you can help someone with his problem.

3. like 45 ninjas.

Well, see the thing is, I want to learn is how to do things, rather than fix things that I might have broken. I do like to help people on this forum, but would like to branch out further and get dedicated to a single or multiple subjects so that I can do something worth my time. I already read lots of things on this forum, but I see more problems/solutions than straight out info on computers. I would ask people for tutorials and help on subjects, but my problem is that I don't know what to learn about computers.

4. Hughv

Hughv

You're the only one who knows what your interests are. I'd think you have some ideas already about what attracts you.
    This such a huge, varied field that it's difficult to advise you.
    Web development?
    Digital imaging?
    All things multimedia?
    Programming video games?
    College courses?
    Teaching/Training?
    Narrow it down a bit, and I'm sure you'll get some suggestions.
    Good attitude, by the way.

5. tony007

tony007 Banned

Get yourself on a college course on computer programming, you can earn a lot of money doing programming.

6. like 45 ninjas.

College courses would be nice, but I don't have any money to pay for anything. I like your list of suggestions, and I'm interested in most of them, but in any one topic, I don't know where to start. To help you narrow it down, lets think of good things to learn in the topic of designing and programming software for doing simple tasks, for example, renaming similar files to follow a naming scheme. I think that I could best apply this right now and hopefully also in the future.

7. tony007

tony007 Banned

8. devil_himself

devil_himself

Is This What You are Talking About ?

Like "Rename All ".JPG" Sequentially In A Folder

Code:
     @echo off
      set /a cnt=1
      for %%a in (*.jpg) do call :PROCESS "%%a"
      goto :EOF
      :PROCESS
      ren %1 %cnt%.jpg
      set /a cnt+=1

Then You Should Start Learning Scripting .. Batch Scripts , VBScript ...

9. like 45 ninjas.

Well, I was not actually needing to make a program that did that. But I was just trying to think of things that I could learn to do just as examples. More of what kind of things I wanted to learn about is like what programming languages to learn, what software to use, what do I need to know about other computer things (e.g. hardware, kernels, drivers), etc. I liked the tutorial tony007 sent me because it focused on one single thing, and I did not have to pick what subjects to learn about.

10. brillser

brillser

"I am eager to learn ANYTHING about computers that I can get my hands on."

Your allready on your own way, young man, don't be so impetious. One thing at a time is much better than many things at once.

11. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

12. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

13. like 45 ninjas.

Both are just what I'm looking for. Favorites, anyone?

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697796

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice