1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

both cd drives inaccessible

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wick2, Sep 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wick2

wick2 Thread Starter

running windows xp home. both cd rom and cd rw are inaccesible to explorer, and neither will read a disc. both drawers are operable, and there are no yellow alerts in device manager. in fact, dm says both drivers are working properly. asus a7v8x-x mobo, bios set to auto and both bios and post show both drives. am running cdrw 24x10x40x master, cd rom 56x slave on ide 2, and two removable hard drives on ide1.
    have tried removing from dev mang. and rebooting. no go.
    also a couple of suggested regedit fixes. no go.
    can anyone help make it go.
    thanx

2. norton850

norton850

Just a little info please.
    Was this something that just happened one day when you booted up?
    What registry changes did you try?

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Check the cables.

4. wick2

wick2 Thread Starter

didn't change registry; that was in reference to a forum suggestion to delete a certain registry that i didn't have.
    it's a new system that i've slowly been adding program to for the past 3 weeks, although for the past 10 days or so i've not added anything from a cd drive-- i've been tweaking norton antivirus problems, installing sp2, and numerous other small problems, so i can't pinpoint when the problem occurred. just know that they both were working fine, and now they're not.
    have already checked cables and pin settings and like i said, they show up fine in post.

5. norton850

norton850

6. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Do they show up under Disk Management? (Admin tools/computer man./disk man)

7. wick2

wick2 Thread Starter

yes and even shows "healthy" if disc is inserted

8. wick2

wick2 Thread Starter

thanks to everyone for their help, but i seem to have solved the problem! I posting this for others' searches who might have the same problem. both cd drives not working: apparently there is a conflict between win xp and other cd copying programs such as nero, or Adaptec Easy CD Creator. here is a link mentioning the problem http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...port/kb/articles/Q270/0/08.ASP&NoWebContent=1
    but it only mentions easy cd and other "third party CD-Writing Software" as the culprit and not NERO INCD

9. wick2

wick2 Thread Starter

thanks to everyone for their help, but i seem to have solved the problem! I posting this for others' searches who might have the same problem. both cd drives not working: apparently there is a conflict between win xp and other cd copying programs such as nero, or Adaptec Easy CD Creator. here is a link mentioning the problem http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...&NoWebContent=1
    but it only mentions easy cd and other "third party CD-Writing Software" as the culprit and not NERO INCD or UDF specifically.
    bottom line; if a cd drive becomes inaccessible the FIRST thing you should do before messing with any registry fixes is to REMOVE ANY CD PACKET WRITING SOFTWARE, REBOOT, AND WA LA! DRIVES WORK.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269873

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice