1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

BOTH CD-ROMs won't work; they DO work in Safe Mode

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mdugan, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mdugan

mdugan Thread Starter

Neither of my CD-ROM drives will work (actually, both are DVD/CD I believe). But they do work in safe mode, perfectly.

Dell actually came and replaced the drives but they still didn't work so they put the old ones back in. Hours on the phone with Dell, their final suggested solution was to reinstall the OS. Frankly, I don't have time for this; I have to use my computer every single day and can't afford the downtime and the potential for not being able to reinstall some of my programs, do the configurations of the programs, etc.

We (me and the Dell guy) updated the drivers, including "firmware" (whatever that is).

This all seemed to happen after installing XP Service Pack 3, so we (me and the Dell guy) tried to do a system restore; that didn't work; uninstalled SP3; that didn't work.

I found a suggested fix by Googling, but that didn't work either -- checking the Device Manager for conflicts. I saw no yellow conflict flags (is that what I'm looking for there?)

I also went to the RUN prompt and typed sfc /scannow because someone suggested that to see if there is a driver conflict. Nothing came up (it appeared to be running through its paces for a while and then finished up and closed; not sure if that definitely means no problems?).

The computer is a Dell Vostro 400 (desktop) with Windows XP Service Pack 2 (was 3). I bought it new from Dell December 2007. I run AVG antivirus.

The drives are:

HL-DT-ST CDRW/DVD GCCH30N

TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H653F

2. jazz3000

jazz3000

I can only suggest you make sure -if connected to an IDE Slot- you check to see if their set up as Master - Slave or the Cable Select jumper? If it's the Cable Select jumpers try the Master Slave alternative. Reboot. Let us know..Jazz

3. mdugan

mdugan Thread Starter

Well, so wait -- if this suggested issue were true, why would it work in Safe mode? And why would it have worked fine and then both drives just suddenly stopped working? Just asking....
    And, I don't know how to check what you are telling me to check.

4. shinybeast

shinybeast

If the sfc command was done correctly and didn't solve it, there isn't anything I can think of that could fix that problem. When you said the system restore didn't work, do you mean it didn't solve the problem, or the restore failed?

5. jazz3000

jazz3000

Jumpers are the small plastic pieces on the back of the DVD players themselves. They offer you several jumper settings. They are marked as Slave - Master - or CS (Cable Select). You will have to pull the jumper straight out and put it on the one Called Master.
    Then the DVD plugged into the middle of the cable needs to be switched to Slave.
    It's obvious the DVDs are there in safe mode but could be the settings causing them not to be recognized. CS works sometimes, Master Slave other times. Jazz

This is a hard drive but it's exactly the same process on the dvds. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds1-JmbhGRM

6. mdugan

mdugan Thread Starter

Well, actually, system restore didn't work because it didn't have any old restore points, just recent ones since the problem started.
    When you run sfc and it shows that it's progressing, reviewing everything, then at the end it just disappears? It doesn't give you a report of any sort? I just don't know what the result was because it just closed instead of reporting to me.

RE: the jumpers (Jazz's idea) sounds like you're saying open up the computer and do this physically to the plastic pieces. Wow, really??? Why would that suddenly just get screwed up on its own, with the computer not opened up? Why would the settings change on their own? I am not really comfortable opening my machine (though in the dark ages I certainly did do some tinkering inside my computer).

7. jazz3000

jazz3000

This is undoubtly out of my league of expertise. Sorry I bothered you. Jazz

8. shinybeast

shinybeast

Sounds like SP3 wasn't completely uninstalled. Sorry, but the best thing I can suggest is fresh reinstall of SP2. I don't think sfc overwrites newer files anyway. Which could explain why it didn't work if there were remnants of SP3.

9. mdugan

mdugan Thread Starter

OK, I'll give that a try. Uninstall SP 3 again, then uninstall SP 2 and start fresh..... Right? Thanks for your thoughts.

10. shinybeast

shinybeast

I really have no idea if this will work because I'm not familiar with exactly what files are stored in the file cache, but you could trying booting into safe mode with command prompt and run sfc /purgecache. Like I said, I don't know if this will work, but I figure you don't have much to lose and I don't think it can hurt. If that doesn't work, I suggest backing up whatever you can and reformatting the drive/partition and reinstall Windows.
    FYI: I haven't had any issues with SP3 when it is applied to or slipstreamed into a fresh XP install. I've seen lots of problems when it is installed on a mature installation.

11. mdugan

mdugan Thread Starter

OK, sorry to be so dense, but sounds like you're saying once I take off SP 3 and then SP 2 I can just jump right into SP 3 without bothering with SP 2? Or were you just saying that if I do reinstall XP entirely then I can jump into SP 3 without bothering with SP 2? Or both......

This pisses me off so bad since I paid for Dell's so-called "Gold Support" or whatever the heck it's called, where they're supposed to handle any problems for you so you don't waste your time doing so.

12. shinybeast

shinybeast

Depends on what your XP install/restore CD has on it. If it's older than SP2 then I would suggest having SP2 and SP3 update programs handy when you reinstall and apply them in succession. Service Packs are just a collection of updates. If you don't install them, then Windows will want to, if Automatic Updates is enabled (it is by default). Some of the updates are security related and you might not want to leave your computer vulnerable to them while it's trying to download fixes for them. Alternately, you can let Windows download everything you need which would take much more time. Getting the packs before updating and having them handy speeds things up greatly. Either way, I suggest do a fresh format and install from XP/Recovery CD and apply updates by running the two service pack executables. This implies backing up files because the disk will be wiped. At this point uninstalling service packs won't do much good it seems. Hope that's clear.

13. mdugan

mdugan Thread Starter

OK, I am never going back to SP3 -- at least not til we know for sure MS has fixed it completely.

It is HORRIBLE. In July MS admitted that SP3 was causing the following significant problem: "Device Manager may not show any devices and Network Connections may not show any network connections."

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=953979

Perhaps take advantage of MS's offer of free tech support for SP3 through April 2009 (very secretive offer - I found it through a third-party tech website - can't find it readily through MS support website)

http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&prid=11273&gprid=522131

Which they started this summer after admitting that SP3 was destroying computers. Bug the hell out of them! Call them, email them, chat them up.

See also

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

Background about my SP3 problems, in case you care....

SP3 has caused both device manager and connection problems on three of my computers plus a different problem on my brand-new fourth computer. These four computers have different antivirus programs on them, and are very different ages (5 years, 3 years, 10 months, and two days old), and one is a laptop. They have very different softwares on them. There is no explanation related to MYSELF or my computers that would explain why all four of them would be corrupted by SP3.

Having figured out how to uninstall SP3 on my brand-new machine, I WILL NOT re-install SP3 until I get really solid confirmation that they have fixed its problems.

The brand-new machine seems like a pretty good test subject -- absolutely no software on it except MS software and McAfee and my HP printer software. It immediately screwed up on day 2 of its life after downloading SP3 automatically -- as in, won't install the remaining 17 updates despite numerous times turning off, turning back on, go to Update website directly; turn firewall on, turn firewall off; etc etc etc and --

much much much worse -- refused to allow ANY program to open at all except Internet Explorer and Outlook -- Error msg for everything was that it couldn't locate usp10.dll. Yes, you heard me right - I could run no software at all except Outlook (which I don't use) and IE.

Ironically, googling for a solution (using the one program that worked - IE), when I used the search term "usp10.dll" it caused IE to crash every single time. What the...??

I even got that same usp10.dll error msg when I right-clicked on Computer and clicked on Properties. Would not open "Properties" at all.

So today I did a system restore to Friday (two days ago) and everything works lovely. I turned off automatic updates. Will not reinstall SP3, thanks very much.

1) SP3 made my 5-year old home desktop pretty useless by causing it to refuse to browse the internet (on either IE or Firefox) -- though my internet provider confirmed I was connected and they could even reset my modem from their office. The error msg was that one you get when you're not connected to the internet (even though it indicated it was connected, and when I plugged my laptop into the same DSL cable it browsed the internet just fine).
    Tried to do system restore but no dates old enough were available. So Dell said "reinstall the OS." On a five year old computer - No thanks. Ordered a new computer instead. See above for how that has gone.

2) SP3 made BOTH of the CD-ROM/DVD drives on my work desktop (10 months old) stop working. Dell sent someone to replace the drives. Nope, they didn't work either. Found I could SOMETIMES get one of them to work in safe mode. Too late to do a system restore to pre-SP3 date. Dell (Gold Tech Support -- yeah right) said, after hours of try this, try that -- reinstall your OS. NO THANK YOU. What else do you have to offer? Oh, try this XP repair website. Ugh, warning this, warning that -- basically, don't try this at home. I need my computer every day at work, can't handle this! Frustrated, I waited for time to do the complete backup and OS reinstall. Then, lo and behold, two days ago there was an automatic update from MS and now ONE of the CD-ROM drives works. Good enough for now. Sigh.

3) SP3 made my CD-ROM on my laptop (3 years old) stop working. Sigh.

BE CAREFUL!!!! (By the way, if you Google this issue you will see that Symantec is being given part of the blame, and I certainly have had other problems with Symantec, but my work desktop didn't have Symantec when it screwed up -- it had AVG -- and my brand-new computer had McAfee, not Symantec, when it screwed up. So I lay ALL the blame at MS's feet.)

14. shinybeast

shinybeast

mdugan,

Wow, sorry about your difficulties. I can easily understand why you are so frustrated. All I can say is that I've not had those problems. I've always installed sp3 before I install anything else, no 3rd party drivers, no anti-virus, no nothing. SP2 goes on then I immediately install SP3 and I've not had any issues with the updates (but I've only done it a few times on a few computers). Another suggestion for the future might be to do a fresh install of xp sp2 on the machines, configure them how you want them, and then image the installations and create a bootable CD (like UBCD4win). Then, if you do have future issues with updates you can boot with UBCD4win, reformat, and run your imaging software (I use DriveImage XML) to restore it back to where it was before the issues. It takes me between 12-15 minutes to go from bad os to pristine os with all my settings, drivers and some software installed (Avast, Firefox, etc.). I sincerely hope your future experience improves.

juju

15. mdugan

mdugan Thread Starter

Thanks very much for your thoughts.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756681

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice