1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

both dvd drives suddenly disconnected themselves

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by angeltherat, Jul 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. angeltherat

angeltherat Thread Starter

just like that! i wanted to watch a dvd on my computer, and when i went to put it in my dvd drive (the one that has write capabilities), the door wouldn't open. i looked at the light and it wasn't even resopnding. i looked in My Computer and the drive was no longer visible. i decided to restart the computer and suddenly my dvd rom drive disconnected and was no longer visible.

i opened the computer and checked the connections, i even took out the new hardware i had put in a few weeks ago (hi speed usb). no luck. add new hardware won't even recognize that i have dvd drives or even cd drives. hardware management is ignoring them completely.

what is going on?!!! is it time for a new computer? i have never had this happen.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

First off, I'd connect the drives one at a time to the end of the cable, jumpered as master. See if it'll recognize them that way. I suspect one of the drives may have died and is causing all the drives to be undetected.

3. angeltherat

angeltherat Thread Starter

ok, i have tried unconnecting it, reconnecting it, checked all the connectors for snugness or damaged pins, looked for software updates, everything i could think of.

i found out though, that this happened while i was on vacation, away from my computer and no one else had access to it. i looked thru my admin logs and found the error messages corolating to the disappearance of my dvd drives.

these are the error messages which appeared in the logs:

source: atapi Event ID: 15
    The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort1, is not ready for access yet.

source: Cdrom Event ID: 11
    The driver detected a controller error on \Device\CdRom0.

(those messages each repeated five times and then...)

source: PlugPlayManager Event ID: 12
    The device 'HP DVD Writer 630c'
    (IDE\CdRomHP_DVD_Writer_630c______________________CH16____\4e43344b32303430433420202020202020202020)
    disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal.

source: PlugPlayManager Event ID: 12
    The device 'SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SM-308B'
    (IDE\CdRomSAMSUNG_CDRW/DVD_SM-308B________________T106____\5&7208d00&0&0.1.0)
    disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal.

the samsung is getting power and works, but the hp is showing no signs of life. i even tried switching the power cables.

when i start up my computer, it says that both dvd drives are inaccessable or something.

4. norton850

norton850

Please reread JohnWill's post. Sounds like the HP drive is dead, but try what he suggested.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487173

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice