Both laptops are unable to connect

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cbadger

Please help.. :(
Laptop 1 - Toshiba Satellite 2 days ago appeared to have a virus - cloud warnings, and icons on my desktop. I ran Malwarebytes, which found no infections, however the cloud warnings disappeared. Since then unable to connect both wireless and ethernet. Here are my config settings at this time for this laptop.
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
C:\Documents and Settings\badger>IPCONFIG /ALL
Windows IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : toshiba-user
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Eth
ernet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-A0-D1-3E-88-82
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 3:
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR5005G Wireless Network Ada
pter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-E3-24-66-FA
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Laptop 2 - No virus' noticed.
HP Mini - Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
C:\Users\Badger Household>IPCONFIG /ALL
Windows IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : BadgerHousehold
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:
Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : C4-17-FE-8D-F7-25
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Tunnel adapter isatap.{9635A75E-D91A-4904-9570-C58A26078B2D}:
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft 6to4 Adapter
Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

cbadger

I have a 3rd laptop, which is able to connect wirelessly. We have AT&T DSL, and I have contacted ATT for assistance, but they were not able to help. Please help. thanks!

cbadger

Update - I have been able to fix the issue with the HP Mini, I removed the battery and then rebooted in safemode. Not sure if either of these steps fixed something. But all is good. Now still a problem with the Toshiba Satellite. It has a strong internet signal, however is indicating Acquiring network address. All IP address's are 0's as indicated above. Any ideas on what is going on?

Have you tried to assign a static ip manually with the gateway of AT&T DSL altogether with it?

etaf

Wayne
what firewalls are on or ever been on the PC - norton, mcafee etc

------------------------------------------------------------------------
From a Johnwill post

IP addresses of all zeros are normally caused by one of the following.

Diagnosis:

1. DHCP Service not running.
  2. Duplicate IP address on the network.
  3. Bad NIC card drivers.
  4. Defective NIC hardware.

Resolution:

1. Check Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services. The DHCP Client service should be Started and its Startup Type should be Automatic.
  2. Turn off ALL of the computers and other network connected devices, restart (power cycle) the router, then restart all the computers and other network devices.
  3. Check for upgraded drivers and/or reload the Network drivers.
  4. Replace the Network Interface Card.

cbadger

Yes, AT&T helped me with this, and it still did not change anything. BTW, now my HP Mini again is unable to connect. Both laptops are indicating "Aquiring Network address", but signals are stong. I am going to try to instruction below for #2 and see what happens. It doesnt seem to me that this problem could be related to hardware issues.

cbadger

Resolution:

1. Check Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services. The DHCP Client service should be Started and its Startup Type should be Automatic. This was set correctly - done - still unable to connect
  2. Turn off ALL of the computers and other network connected devices, restart (power cycle) the router, then restart all the computers and other network devices. Done - still unable to connect
  3. Check for upgraded drivers and/or reload the Network drivers.
  4. Replace the Network Interface Card.
I tried booting my hp mini and safe mode and able to connect to the internet. I rebooted again, not safe mode, not able to connect. Doesnt this indicate that I might have a virus? I am running Malwarebytes now in safemode to see if anything is detected.

cbadger

Well, I ran both the quick scan and Full scan and no virus were detected with Malwarebytes.
I just dont know what to do next. Should i try to reformat the hard drive and just start over?
Still operating in safe mode and able to connect to the internet with no problem.
I havent yet tried this with the Toshiba...that will be next when I have energy to tackle tomorrow..

etaf

Wayne
I tried booting my hp mini and safe mode and able to connect to the internet. I rebooted again, not safe mode, not able to connect. Doesnt this indicate that I might have a virus? I am running Malwarebytes now in safemode to see if anything is detected.
or firewall as requested
what firewalls are on or ever been on the PC - norton, mcafee etc
do you have two PC unable to connect
I have been able to fix the issue with the HP Mini, I removed the battery and then rebooted in safemode. Not sure if either of these steps fixed something. But all is good. Now still a problem with the Toshiba Satellite.
can we have a clear statement of what works and what does not work

concerened the HP mini mentioned

HP MIni - connected by cable - works/does not work
HP MIni - connected by wireless - works/does not work

Toshiba Satellite - connected by cable - works/does not work
Toshiba Satellite - connected by wireless - works/does not work

cbadger

Sorry I was confusing. I have 3 laptops in the house
1 - HP Mini - had Norton security - do not think it is active any longer
HP MIni - connected by cable - OMG It works!
HP MIni - connected by wireless - does not work - icon indicates that the wireless is disabled, signal
is excellent
HP Mini - safemode by wireless - works

2. Topshiba Satellite - Had McAfee Security, do not think it is active any longer
Toshiba Satellite - connected by cable - does not work
Toshiba Satellite - connected by wireless - does not work - signal strength is excellent, shows
aquiring network address.

3 - Lenovo Thinkpad used for business - NO ISSUES. McAfee, Cisco Wireless Network - no issues
connected with either thru my business proxy server or direct to internet

etaf

Wayne
1 - HP Mini - had Norton security - do not think it is active any longer
HP MIni - connected by cable - OMG It works!
HP MIni - connected by wireless - does not work - icon indicates that the wireless is disabled, signal
is excellent
HP Mini - safemode by wireless - works
OK - lets see if we can sort this one out first

icon indicates that the wireless is disabled,
is there a switch on the PC which switches the wireless on and off - OR a combination of FN + one of the F keys

lets see an xirrus screen shot and a device manager screen shot - see below

If your not using norton, we may as well remove that using the norton removal tool

Norton Removal Tool - I would recommend that you restart the PC and run the removal tool for a second time - I have found instances where the removal tool needs to be run twice to fully remove all traces of norton and symantec from the PC
http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20080710133834EN

All Versions - The Norton Removal Tool uninstalls all Norton 2010/2009/2008/2007/2006/2005/2004/2003 products, Norton 360 and Norton SystemWorks 12.0 from your computer.
http://majorgeeks.com/Norton_Removal_Tool_SymNRT_d4749.html

Run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector
Download and install

If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC

http://www.xirrus.com/Products/Wi-Fi-Inspector.aspx
Direct link to the program is here http://wpc.475a.edgecastcdn.net/00475A/XirrusWiFiInspectorSetup.1.2.0.exe

{If the above link does not work heres another link http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_download/fid,77196-order,4/download.html}

Then run and install the program - on a wireless enabled PC/Laptop
if you get an error - You need NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.

Run the program

A user guide is available here http://www.xirrus.com/Products/Wi-Fi-Inspector/xirruswifiinspectorguide1-2-0.aspx

post a screen shot of the program running - if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information, and also post which network "Adapter Name" (1st column) is yours on the list

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
Full details are here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Posting_a_Screenshot

Note:
For a reliable (or robust as the Xirrus user guide says) wireless connection you need a signal of about -70 dBm or better.

If you are using the Mac OS then use http://www.istumbler.net/

Device Manager
Post back the results in device manager
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC
Start > control Panel {Vista set to classic view}> system > {Vista, device manager on left hand side} {XP hardware Tab, device manager button} >
windows 7
start > control panel> System and Security> Device Manager

network adaptors, click on the + > post back the devices listed there
are there any ! ? or X

post a screen shot of the device manager - network adapters

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here
Full details are here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Posting_a_Screenshot

cbadger

Ok..I dont get it..I hit a couple PF's keys, not know which disabled/enabled, and Im not sure what i did, but now the HP mini is working wirelessly, everything is back to BAU. I cant believe that was all that was wrong...urggg...

But..Satellite is still messed up. I will try running the steps above and will advise. Thank you!

etaf

Wayne
there's quite a problem on that PC - i think there maybe a virus thats caused the services to stop or corrupted some of the files

carry out the following - I will move to virus forum
http://forums.techguy.org/54-virus-other-malware-removal/

in fact it maybe better to close this thread and open a new one with just the Toshiba info

so I have moved the threads into a new post here
http://forums.techguy.org/virus-other-malware-removal/1021409-unable-connect-internet.html

as it will be easier for a virus guru to follow

and we can close this post now

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online