1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Both My Sata II Hard Drives are Clicking, Can anyone help?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Berkan, Aug 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Berkan

Berkan Thread Starter

I filled out a pc spec form when I joined, don't know if you guys can see it or not but I have two Sata II Drives;

1 x Western Digital 250GB (drive with Windows XP & all main apps)

1 x Maxtor 500GB (extra storage, games, films, misc)

about 4 months ago or maybe more my Maxtor started to click all the time when I played games and it would freeze the whole game up then a 'whirring' sound would come out of the drive then the computer would 'un-freeze' giving me less than 10 seconds to quit the game before the click happened again then when the game eventually quits and im back at the Desktop the clicking and whirring stops altogether and only happenes rarely when im browsing the internet or something although when I accessed some files on the Hard Drive it would click but not always, anyway so I have unplugged the Maxtor ever since that started to prevent any further damage to it.

So since then My Pc has been running smoothly until a couple of days ago when my Western started having the exactly same clicking problem in exactly the same manner! but not as frequent though I fear that if i do keep using my pc then the frequency will increase and I really don't know what to do about it.

I have been searching though the web and found out that some of the causes of this problem can be:

1. power surges

2. poor power supply (closely related to first cause)

3. poor condition of the cables

4. high magnetic interference from speakers for e.g. though i only have small speakers beside my computer so that can't be the reason

I Bought the Western in 2004 and the Maxtor within the past year so they are still very new drives and they should not be dying so soon!

I do not want to buy new drives if the same thing is going to happen again so I was wondering if you guys have any useful tips or solutions that I can try out?

I was thinking of trying a different PSU then to try using different sata cables, what you guys think?

Any help at all will be greatly appreciated!:)

Thanks!

Berkan.

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

Well bought in 2004 is not a "very new drive". Remember they are warrantied for 3 years and that has come and gone. Maxtor drives these days are the poorest quality and I have had quite a number of Maxtor and Seagate dead in the retail box. I think like it or not if you are hearing the "click of death", you need to replace both drives and soon. And yes poor quality psu likke you have can easily kill hard drives and more. I would only use a brand name such as Antec, Enermax or Thermaltake.

3. win2kpro

win2kpro

I would suspect excessive heat as the culprit rather than a voltage problem. How are the drives arranged in your case? What is the thermal design of the case (do you have any intake fans in front of the drives)? How many and what size exhaust fans are in your case?

4. Berkan

Berkan Thread Starter

Hi Rich thanks for your advice!, it has been three years but I have hard drives from years ago that still work for e.g. on the family computer I have an 80GB ATA WD or Seagate i think from 2002/2003 if i remember correctly that is still going strong and I just would never have thought that HD's would die this fast :(

Well I think that it probably is the PSU in this case especially for the Maxtor if they really are as bad as you say so the PSU needs to get replaced.

I think I am also going to buy a Surge Protector as well as a Backup Power Source in case of any power outs.

But in terms of buying a new Hard Drive what make do you suggest I go for?

Thanks for the Advice!, Much appreciated! :)

win2kpro:
    Well they are about 2 or 2 and a half inches away from each other, em I'm not exactly sure by what you mean by thermal design but the case is made up of some sort of metal (not plastic) and there is a good amount of room for air to circulate round the case and the side panel of the case is removed anyway and I have a case thermometer and it never goes above 30C (sorry not sure what that is in Fahrenheit), although I do remember touching the underside of the Maxtor a while back when this problem started and it was considerably hot.

In terms of fans I have two 80mm fans at the bottom front of the case blowing in (just underneath the HD's i think), I have one 80mm fan at the back of the case blowing out and I also have one 80mm fan blowing in from on top of the case and the side panel has been removed but there is also another 80mm fan on that blowing in.

hmmm, what do you think would be a good cooling method for HD's?, I have seen fans that you can put into your drive bays but my computer is noisy enough.

Thanks a lot for all your advice guys! :)

5. win2kpro

win2kpro

30C = 86F so that temp is OK.

There is one thing that did catch my eye namely; "I also have one 80mm fan blowing in from on top of the case". If this fan is located on the flat portion (horizontal surface) of the very top of the case, it should be pulling air OUT of the case, rather than blowing INTO the case.

On some of my machines I use Vantec Iceberg Coolers which mount to the bottom of the drive. Unless you have a large case, I doubt that you could get a cooler on each drive. They are relatively inexpensive, easy to install and do a good job. I'm running one of the machine I am currently using (just a single drive) and the temp is 31C (88F).

http://www.directron.com/hdc701abk.html

Of course, as with other components the cooler you can keep a drive, the less problems you have, and you have longer longevity.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

I have cooling fans on both hard drives in my small case unit as well as a front case fan blowing in.
    My own personal experience has always had WD the best with the least frequency of repair and I do well with Samsung also. I never had any bad experience with Seagate until sata came along and now they are the ones that quit the fastest here, and the most dead in the box new. As much as Hitachi/Ibm "Deathstars" were the pits with ide, I have never lost a sata from them either, though I haven't used many (it takes courage).

7. Berkan

Berkan Thread Starter

win2kpro

ahhh of course makes sense, heat rises so the fan on top of the case should blow out, lol yeah I'm a bit thick at times.

I will be looking into that Vantec Iceberg Cooler as well as other HD cooling methods.

Thanks for all your help!

Rich

Thanks for your advice!, well from what your saying I think I will probably be sticking to WD from now on! (y)

Thanks for your posts 'n' Advice guys!, greatly appreciated :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/616389

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice