Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Both shift keys not working

901 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  plodr 
#1 ·
both shift keys not working - not sticky keys
Both shift keys stopped working, although if I press them for long enough on and off then they resume, and will continue working for the most part unless I stop typing for a short while.

At first it required pressing just a couple of times for them to work again and it got a bit worse from there.

It's not sticky keys, keyboard drivers are up-to-date, troubleshooting says there's no problem, and I have done various other tests. I would think it was a problem with the physical keyboard, except for the fact that I can get them to work with persistence, and that it is both of the keys rather than just one which may suggest that they are connected at some point if it was an issue with the physical keyboard (I think).

Pressing one shift key and getting it to work will get the other one working too. Caps lock still works too.

Any ideas as to what this is?

#4 ·
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Build 19042, Installed 20210307013601.000000+120
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 142 Stepping 10, CPU Count: 8
Total Physical RAM: 20 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 118 GB (12 GB Free); E: 463 GB (183 GB Free); F: 466 GB (90 GB Free);
Motherboard: LENOVO LNVNB161216, ver NO DPK, s/n PF16YBZ9
System: LENOVO, ver LENOVO - 1, s/n PF16YBZ9
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

#7 ·
If an external keyboard has the same problem, then it is likely a software problem.
Boot into safe mode in Windows. Do the shift keys work?
If so, you need to see what is running in normal mode that is causing the problem.

First what is running when Windows starts in normal mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.