1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Both thermal pad and paste?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheGodFather, Aug 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TheGodFather

TheGodFather Thread Starter

I'm planning on building my new computer soon, and today I was at Best Buy talking to a member of the geek squad about building computers. He said that you should use both a thermal pad and thermal paste(he called it thermal grease. That's the same thing right?). I told him that I've heard that you should only use one. He said no, the more the better. Who's right?

Thanks much

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    No, he's completely wrong. You should only use one or the other; never both.

Not only should you use only one but you should not apply tons of it. More is not better.

Thermal grease is indeed the same thing as thermal paste.

3. TheGodFather

Thanks. That man should have his geek squad badge taken away.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No, he deserves it.

The purpose of thermal compound [whether it is a pad, or grease] is to fill in the microscopic voids in the heatsink and the processor die or heat spreader. This make for better thermal conductivity. Too much and it will act as an insulator impeding the transfer of heat energy.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Destroys my whole image of the Geek Squad as being elite technical experts. :rolleyes:

6. Mulderator

Mulderator

Use Arctic Silver 5--its really great stuff (thermal compound) which is better than the pads, IMO, if applied correctly.

7. TheGodFather

New question:
    We installed the heatsink and before we even turned it on, we noticed that it was on the wrong way. If we took it off to turn it around, would we still need to apply new thermal interface material?

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    In this case I would say probably not. Just make sure that once you removed the heatsink that all of the pad stayed on the heatsink. If some of it came off with the heatsink and some stayed on the CPU then when you put it back on it wil be uneven and the contact won't be very good. In that case you would need to buy a tube of paste, and I would recommend Arctic Silver 5.

9. TheGodFather

It wasn't a pad that came on the heat sink. It left a thin residue on the processor. We were still able to read the writing on the cpu. Think we're okay?

10. Mulderator

Mulderator

BTW--something to consider. I had temps in the mid 50s and high 70s (idle and full throttle) on my CPU with the stock heatsink/fan and switched to a Zalman copper core (the cheaper one--not all copper) and used Artic Silver 5 instead of the stuff they supplied with the Zalman. After installation, I was in the low 30s and mid 40s respectively. I'm betting 2 to 5 degrees of that is due to the Artic Silver 5. My point being check your temps after installation to make sure the Heatsink it working well. The stocks will work with normal usage, but for gaming, video editing, etc., you'll probably need an aftermarket Heatsink.

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I would think you'd be fine.

But as mentioned the aftermarket heatsinks and compound/paste do a better job if you fine your temps are high.

12. TheGodFather

okay, thanks.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!