1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bottleneck?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by okeefe415, Oct 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. okeefe415

okeefe415 Thread Starter

Im trying to figure out if my processor will end up bottlenecking my new pc build. I really only play games, and the audio app's i do use will run great (i allready know it), so this question is SOLELY based on a gaming bottleneck.

I have a GREAT 939 mobo i just acquired and do NOT feel like buying a brand new AM2 board. However, the fastest x2 series processor i could find was a 4200+x2 on newegg. I cant get an opteron (cause mobo needs a bios update meaning i need to get a "loaner" 939 processor) and i am definitely NOT going to buy a 4800+x2 for the $400 price tag ive seen around for the 939...

SO, will i have to worry about a bottleneck with these components?

4200+ x2 (duh)
    8800 gts 320mb
    2 GB PC3200

also, if the bottleneck is marginal, Im getting a GOOD heatsink and i would consider overclocking.

2. iMPACT

iMPACT

there shouldn't be any bottleneck problems, most of the power to process games is form the GPU and that 8800 is pretty crazy but u really should consider upgrading the mother board together because that 939 socket X2 will be obsolete in a few years and if u do the math it won't really be worth it. if u look at my computer specs. i also have a 939 but with much slower components, i was going to do exactly what u are planning but after some research about all the new stuff coming out like new cpus gpu and games. i'm going to wait till next year and build a brand new computer.

3. okeefe415

okeefe415 Thread Starter

well i plan on getting the phenom processors when there realeased, but i need a pc NOW (thats fast) and i can carry over the grapics card + case + psu so id be saving money rather than getting a ****** newer AGP card thats like 300 bucks.

4. iMPACT

iMPACT

why would u get an AGP card? well if u desperatly need a gaming computer then go ahead. with your setup its going to be able to play alot of new games. if u look at my computer specs( beside my name) i can play many new games but on med settings (bioshock, GRAW 2, Test Drive Unlimited).

I will be getting the Phenom FX on a quad FX platform= eight cores

5. okeefe415

okeefe415 Thread Starter

im saying that im either getting the new pc i detailed above, or NOTHING at all, and just waiting, but the issue is that my current pc is just agp. so if i was to upgrade my current gfx card it would be a waste and expensive.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/635172

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice