1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

bottleneck

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Couriant, Jan 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

First Name:
    James
    I was wondering if there is any software that can detect/monitor bottlenecks? I think the issue is at the switch but i'm not too sure.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Difficult question. It depends on the network hardware. Unmanaged switches and hubs are pretty difficult to scope out. Normally, you should be able to do a map of the network and spot potential bottlenecks on paper.

3. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

There are a number of ways to determine what and where a bottleneck exists. You start with describing your hardware topology [what connects to what].

Tell us what connects to what and if they are a managed or unmanaged switch(es)

4. Couriant

First Name:
    James
    T1 -> Router -> Cisco Switch -> close to 30ish hosts. Not a big company. I think the switch is unmanaged, but that could be the old one. The switch was replaced with a 48-port.

5. JohnWill

Well, if all the computers are connected directly to the switch, there aren't many possibilities. :) Is there a server in the mix there? If so, perhaps you need a couple of gigabit ports on the switch to give more bandwidth to server access. The workstations don't need gigabit for good response in that particular scenario.

6. Couriant

First Name:
    James
    no server per say. All are workstations, with one machine acting as a license server. This problem has started sometime last week so I think it may be something else.

The switch is a Linksys switch, I think it's this one (my hand writing is bad, but I do know it's a 48-port, with model number ending 248G)

7. JohnWill

If the problem just started, you may have a bad NIC streaming onto the network and causing congestion. Have you disconnected individual machines to see if one machine causes the issue?

8. Couriant

First Name:
    James
    Actually I did do that. One of the PCs which has Windows 2000 Server (didn't know that) and that has alleviated the problem, however the problem with that is for some reason (i need to look into it) the internet service is through the machine... not too sure how that is.

One thing I noticed that the server and another machine had the same hostname. Now I know the same IP address will create a conflict, but would the same hostname do the same thing?

9. JohnWill

Yep, the same host name is a problem, I'd fix that as well.

As far as the server, I'd fire up WireShark and see what all the activity from it is about. :)

10. Couriant

First Name:
    James
    alrighty. I will try that :)

11. Couriant

First Name:
    James
    well you know that it cleared up when I came in with WireShark... lol

12. JohnWill

A simple threat was all that was required. :D

13. Couriant

First Name:
    James
    OK... here is what I have found. It seems that a few of the machines are having the slow down. For example, 100MB of files from one machine will take about a minute to one machine, 4 to another and as much as 7 hours reported to another.

With WireShark, the most of the traffic is NBNS and CUPS protocols. Not too sure if that would cause it.

14. JohnWill

When I've had those kinds of issues, it's been either a driver issue or a NIC hardware issue. On one of the machines, I'd try a different brand NIC (obviously that will have different drivers), and see if that changes the problem.

15. Couriant

First Name:
    James
    hmm are the NICs the same for Mac as it is for PC?

As to the server, I think it's just a slow machine. They have had it for about 10 years lol

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!