Bottom of screen flickering

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Squidwardschair

Hi, I have a 3-4 year old Dell XPS13 that randomly started flickering on the laptop screen at the bottom with some apparent dead pixels on the right side. I would just like to know if there is a specific issue apparent and how I could go about fixing it. I attached some pictures of the issue, on the boot screen and on flat colors to show the issue.

Thank you!

Attachments

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Hello and welcome to TSG!!

I agree with SpywareDr that the LCD is going south. You can try to press gently, but firmly along either side near the defective band and see if it makes any difference.

There are several disassembly videos available, if you feel up to trying to replace the screen yourself. Check out some prices and availability and judge for yourself if you feel it may be worth your time and money to attempt the repair. If you've got a little technical/mechanical ability and good manual dexterity, it not a very daunting project. If you don't feel comfortable doing the job, you'd have to figure the price of repair by someone else into the decision as to whether to replace or repair ...

Squidwardschair

Hello and welcome to TSG!!

I agree with SpywareDr that the LCD is going south. You can try to press gently, but firmly along either side near the defective band and see if it makes any difference.

There are several disassembly videos available, if you feel up to trying to replace the screen yourself. Check out some prices and availability and judge for yourself if you feel it may be worth your time and money to attempt the repair. If you've got a little technical/mechanical ability and good manual dexterity, it not a very daunting project. If you don't feel comfortable doing the job, you'd have to figure the price of repair by someone else into the decision as to whether to replace or repair ...
Alright, thank you! How can I obtain the specific LCD for the laptop model?

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I always prefer to take the numbers off the back of the LCD itself and search for that model. That way you are sure of getting something compatible. It may not be the exact same model #, but it should be a form/fit substitute.

I've gotten them from several places in the past, even eBay. Just check out the place you are buying from and be sure you are comfortable. It's been a wile now, so I don't really have any names handy.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Couriant

James
What is the service tag of that machine? It may be under a metal flap.

For reference, that works on other dell laptops, not sure for XPS. While computer is off, hold the D button down and press the power key. That should do the LCD BIST. If those marks are on the bottom then more than likely it's the LCD and not any other component.

Squidwardschair

I always prefer to take the numbers off the back of the LCD itself and search for that model. That way you are sure of getting something compatible. It may not be the exact same model #, but it should be a form/fit substitute.

I've gotten them from several places in the past, even eBay. Just check out the place you are buying from and be sure you are comfortable. It's been a wile now, so I don't really have any names handy.

Will do! Appreciate the quick, quality response :)

Squidwardschair

What is the service tag of that machine? It may be under a metal flap.

For reference, that works on other dell laptops, not sure for XPS. While computer is off, hold the D button down and press the power key. That should do the LCD BIST. If those marks are on the bottom then more than likely it's the LCD and not any other component.
DWCR7H2

Squidwardschair

Okay, so after some procrastinating, I decided to take on the project. I got the screen off eBay (which luckily lets us ship it back), and it's displaying the same issue. Where should I go from here in terms of fixing the issue?PXL_20210716_201033402.jpg

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
As coincidental as it sounds, I'm betting on another defective LCD. There's really nothing else that can cause that. I don't believe a bad cable can do it. I'm not sure if defective video memory would cause something like that, either.

If something inside was damaged by liquid, especially while running. is most cases there really is no fix ... other than replacement of course.

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
So, you're thinking main board? I still suspect LCD, personally.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts