Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bottom of screen flickering

1K views 26 replies 6 participants last post by  Macboatmaster 
#1 ·
Hi, I have a 3-4 year old Dell XPS13 that randomly started flickering on the laptop screen at the bottom with some apparent dead pixels on the right side. I would just like to know if there is a specific issue apparent and how I could go about fixing it. I attached some pictures of the issue, on the boot screen and on flat colors to show the issue.

Thank you!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Hello and welcome to TSG!!

I agree with SpywareDr that the LCD is going south. You can try to press gently, but firmly along either side near the defective band and see if it makes any difference.

There are several disassembly videos available, if you feel up to trying to replace the screen yourself. Check out some prices and availability and judge for yourself if you feel it may be worth your time and money to attempt the repair. If you've got a little technical/mechanical ability and good manual dexterity, it not a very daunting project. If you don't feel comfortable doing the job, you'd have to figure the price of repair by someone else into the decision as to whether to replace or repair ...

#4 ·
Hello and welcome to TSG!!

I agree with SpywareDr that the LCD is going south. You can try to press gently, but firmly along either side near the defective band and see if it makes any difference.

There are several disassembly videos available, if you feel up to trying to replace the screen yourself. Check out some prices and availability and judge for yourself if you feel it may be worth your time and money to attempt the repair. If you've got a little technical/mechanical ability and good manual dexterity, it not a very daunting project. If you don't feel comfortable doing the job, you'd have to figure the price of repair by someone else into the decision as to whether to replace or repair ...
Alright, thank you! How can I obtain the specific LCD for the laptop model?

#5 ·
I always prefer to take the numbers off the back of the LCD itself and search for that model. That way you are sure of getting something compatible. It may not be the exact same model #, but it should be a form/fit substitute.

I've gotten them from several places in the past, even eBay. Just check out the place you are buying from and be sure you are comfortable. It's been a wile now, so I don't really have any names handy.

Good luck and keep us posted!

#7 ·
I always prefer to take the numbers off the back of the LCD itself and search for that model. That way you are sure of getting something compatible. It may not be the exact same model #, but it should be a form/fit substitute.

I've gotten them from several places in the past, even eBay. Just check out the place you are buying from and be sure you are comfortable. It's been a wile now, so I don't really have any names handy.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Will do! Appreciate the quick, quality response :)

#6 ·
What is the service tag of that machine? It may be under a metal flap.

For reference, that works on other dell laptops, not sure for XPS. While computer is off, hold the D button down and press the power key. That should do the LCD BIST. If those marks are on the bottom then more than likely it's the LCD and not any other component.

#9 ·
Your system is shown on this Dell page:

Dell.com > Support XPS 13 9360 Service Tag: DWCR7H2

And if you click in the "View product specs" under "Quick Links" on the right of that page, and then scroll down a bit, it shows the following line for the LCD:

7TF96 : Module, Liquid Crystal Display, 13.3 FHD, New Technology, AG, SHA, 9360

#12 ·
As coincidental as it sounds, I'm betting on another defective LCD. There's really nothing else that can cause that. I don't believe a bad cable can do it. I'm not sure if defective video memory would cause something like that, either.

#17 ·
I do not think it has been mentioned
Connect an external display
From your user manual for the Dell
XPS 13 Setup and Specifications (dell.com)
Thunderbolt 3 (USB Type-C) port Supports USB 3.1 Gen 2, DisplayPort 1.2, Thunderbolt 3 and also enables you to connect to an external display using a display adapter.

If the same symptom is present it is likely to be the integrated graphics, or some aspect of the system board, if it is not present then as stated it is likely to be the laptop display itself or cabling to it.

Reactions: SpywareDr
#18 ·
I do not think it has been mentioned
Connect an external display
From your user manual for the Dell
XPS 13 Setup and Specifications (dell.com)
Thunderbolt 3 (USB Type-C) port Supports USB 3.1 Gen 2, DisplayPort 1.2, Thunderbolt 3 and also enables you to connect to an external display using a display adapter.

If the same symptom is present it is likely to be the integrated graphics, or some aspect of the system board, if it is not present then as stated it is likely to be the laptop display itself or cabling to it.
I'm connecting to an external display to use it right now, works fine.
Very well could be. But if it got wet, there's no telling what all has been ruined.
I am fairly sure that it hasn't gotten wet, the problem started randomly and I cannot recall spilling anything on it for all the time I've owned it.

#19 ·
As coincidental as it sounds, I'm betting on another defective LCD. There's really nothing else that can cause that. I don't believe a bad cable can do it. I'm not sure if defective video memory would cause something like that, either.
That's what I suspected too. Just a quick question - I noticed while replacing it, all cables from the LCD to the main board came with the new LCD... so would it be correct to assume that any problem with the cables would be fixed with a new LCD? Or are there cables in the main board that can cause the issue.

#21 ·
I noticed while replacing it, all cables from the LCD to the main board came with the new LCD... so would it be correct to assume that any problem with the cables would be fixed with a new LCD? Or are there cables in the main board that can cause the issue.
There is circuitry on the main board that drives the LCD.

#20 ·
I really don't believe that symptom is the result of a cable defect. If you can, while you have the front LCD bezel off, try pressing gently on the area around the screen. If you can see the chips on that side, try pressing gently on them.

#22 ·
Yes, and there is more circuitry on the LCD that takes those signals and drives the gates that turn the individual pixels on and off in a matrix fashion.

#24 · (Edited)
Whatever the cause - my suggestion proves it is not the graphics chip
A most important test IMHO
I agree most likely cause is LCD , but one wonders does one not, when a second LCD displays the same problem
whereas if it is a cabling fault or some manner of fault to the LCD display - then any LCD display will exhibit the same defect

Alright. I'll ship the LCD back in and try and get a new one
I would urge caution before you spend that amount of money - ON A NEW ONE

I suggest you run this
How to Run the LCD Built-in Self-Test on a Dell Laptop | Dell UK

#25 ·
Further to the above - there is a suggestion that the Intel integrated graphics are producing similar problems on the laptop LCD
I CANNOT of course say that this is the case on yours
It is reported that it MAYBE a problem with the image display on the laptop for some reason connected with Windows 10 and the driver
whereas it will work OK on the larger external monitor
I HAVE NO IDEA whether this is correct but before you spend serious money on a NEW LCD display
I suggest you boot the laptop from a LINUX OS from a USB pen, you do not install the LInux you run it in ram

See what happens then.
I wish you the best of luck with it, I am not online tonight after this or tomorrow, but someone will guide you if needed in booting from LINUX and running in ram.
Main Page - Linux Mint

Download - Linux Mint

Linux Mint Installation Guide - Linux Mint Installation Guide documentation (linuxmint-installation-guide.readthedocs.io)

DO NOT proceed to install ONLY to
Boot Linux Mint - Linux Mint Installation Guide documentation (linuxmint-installation-guide.readthedocs.io)

Create bootable media USB pen
Create the bootable media - Linux Mint Installation Guide documentation (linuxmint-installation-guide.readthedocs.io)

I personally use RUFUS
it will usually select the correct settings for you
Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way

If the problem does not exist in Linux at least you have saved the expense if it does then possibly it is a more justifiable risk on the expense.

#26 · (Edited)
Did you try holding down the D key when you press the Power button to switch the laptop on as Courient mentioned in post #6 ?
That should run diagnostics on the display without using the Graphics card and may help with troubleshooting your problem.
Also try re-seating the ram (there's a slim chance you have a loose or faulty ram module)

#27 · (Edited)
Did you try holding down the D key when you press the Power button to switch the laptop on as Courient mentioned in post #6 ?
That should run diagnostics on the display without using the Graphics card and may help with troubleshooting your problem.
Indeed , I wondered if it had been run and that is why I posted the link to the full guide on post 24
from the guide
Method 1
  1. Turn off the computer.
  2. Disconnect any devices that are connected to the computer.
  3. Connect the AC adapter (charger) to the computer.
  4. Ensure that the LCD screen is clean (no dust particles on the surface of the screen).
  5. Press and hold the D key and turn on the computer to enter LCD built-in self-test (BIST) mode. Continue to hold the D key, until you see color bars on the LCD screen.
  6. The screen displays multiple color bars and changes colors to black, white, red, green, and blue.
  7. Carefully inspect the screen for abnormalities.
  8. Press the Esc key to exit.
  9. If the screen abnormality is not present in the built-in self-test mode, see the Dell knowledge base article How to Troubleshoot Display or Video Issues on a Dell Laptop.
  10. If the screen abnormality is present in the built-in self-test mode, contact Dell Technical Support for repair options available at your location.
Of course calling Dell Technical at point 10 will not be a viable proposition as the laptop is I think well out of warranty

Reactions: managed
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.