1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bought a HD 7870 XT. The PCI cable is short by a few cm!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GbeTech, Feb 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GbeTech

GbeTech Thread Starter

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Pull the cables back down, cut off any cable ties, and route/connect the cables so that they reach the video card without feeding it behind the back panel if necessary but if the one reaches the way it's routed than the other one should too once done properly. You can probably get a better view of the cables if you take the other side panel off. Be sure to use the top PCI-Express x16 slot.

What's the wattage of your current PSU? Is it sufficient for the new 7870 XT?

3. Simba7

Simba7

Mmmmm.. Seasonic.. Good choice.

I would suggest removing the front-most zip-tie and moving the PCI-e cables a little further backwards. Right now, you have the few extra cm's behind your hard drive bays.

4. GbeTech

GbeTech Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Especially Triple6 since I already did my thing before Simba posted (y)

Instead of rerouting the cable, I just cut the ties early on, so it's got less twisted = more length. (my hands are cut and scratched all over)
    Does this look right?

500W power btw
    http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/4205/img3111we.jpg

Also, in the process I disconnected the "lower" HD. I'm not sure I reconnected it properly?

5. Simba7

Simba7

Some hard drives do not like to run up-side down. Just a head's up.
    It does look good, but keep on eye on the PSU. 500w is kinda pushing it for that card.

I was going to suggest moving the PCI-e cable here, though.

Attached Files:

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It looks like you could route that cable behind with the other one if you wanted to clean up the look of it.

What motherboard do you have? I just want to be sure that bottom PCI-Express x16 slot is a full 16 lane slot, sometimes they are only physically that size but are an x8 slot.

500 watt is the minimum recommended for that card, at least you have a quality brand.

7. GbeTech

GbeTech Thread Starter

8. Simba7

Simba7

*looks at the first pic*

Yep.. That is an x8 slot. You can tell because the pins are only half of the entire slot. Then you look at the slot above that, the pins go up the entire slot.

Attached Files:

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob

Yup, good catch.

So you'll want to move that card to the top slot to get the most out of the card.

10. GbeTech

GbeTech Thread Starter

Thanks a lot guys. Relocated the card in the top slot.
    This forum never ceases to amaze me!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1091030

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice