1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bought a new laptop; seems used

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JGjo, Sep 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JGjo

JGjo Thread Starter

i'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but i bought a laptop today from office depot. the box was opened to show me what it looked like b/c it was on clearance & there was no display.

it has a few dings on it, which is fine by me b/c i only paid $400 for an $800 machine. well, i was cleaning it off b/c i hate a lot of the programs that come w/ a new one & i noticed there are things installed @ different dates. for example, there are programs that were installed in november 2011 & then again on april 2012.

is that normal? i've got 14 days to return this.

thanks!

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    All i can say is if you arent happy with it certainly return it and get one that you will be satisfied with.I would think all of the programs installed would have the same date but then again on brand new computers i just remove all of the preloaded stuff i dont want or need anyway.if it has dings it was either damaged in shipping to the store or it might of been used as a display model.Its nice to get a bargain on clearance but if it doesnt look brand new to you then it might not be such a good deal afterall.

3. replay

replay

what is the make/model.......... u can get a pretty nice (new) laptop now for not much more than $400

4. jamesx121

jamesx121

did you ask them if the laptop was a Display model????

if they had it out on the shelf powered up for people to mess with . you just have to live with it.
    you got it for half price.

did they offer any warranty even
    though it was on Clearence???

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Restore it to factory defaults. If you're still not happy, return it.

6. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

You also need to be careful about what dates you look at.
    Double check that it is the INSTALL date which will be in the registry. Most other dates can be fiddled or just copied from source.

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    It's my guess it was a display model - which is probably why it sold for $400.00 instead of $800.00.

If it was a display model, the store probably installed certain apps and changed certain settings in it.

An elderly client of mine had this problem after she bought a HP desktop for a reduced price that had been used as a display model.

I ran its built-in system recovery and restored it back to its original factory condition, then went from there.

-----------------------------------------------------

8. JGjo

JGjo Thread Starter

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLIES, EVERYONE!

hp pavilion dm4. it was the only one i saw in my price range w/ core i5.

i didn't think to ask if it was a display model. they offered the store warranty, but that's it.

how do i check the registry dates?

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    The HP Pavilion dm4 series laptop has 61 models.

The complete model number will have a dash and a series of numbers and letters after dm4.

If you can't confirm the complete model number, advise what the product number(P/N) and/or model number(M/N) on the sticker is.

-----------------------------------------------------------

The dm4 model with the Intel i5 processor does appear to retail for about $800.00 at the HP shopping site.

-----------------------------------------------------------

10. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Stop checking dates. Do a full factory restore now, and see how it works. If you're unhappy after that, return it.

11. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

As said, stop trying.
    You would have to look up each product individually. I only do it to find what date to restore to - which in your case is not relevant.

12. JGjo

JGjo Thread Starter

thanks, everyone, for your help! i ended up going back & they confirmed it was a display model. i figured they would've volunteered the information first, but i learned my lesson. i am now the proud owner of a lenovo g570, though :)

13. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I suspected it was a display model.

I'm glad to hear you got the issue resolved. :) (y)

----------------------------------------------------------

14. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Im glad it was solved for you and enjoy your new computer.I had the lenovo g570 but traded it in for the bigger model the g770 because i wanted the 17 inch screen.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1070991

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice