1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bought New PC -- Past HD Installed - OverRides New PC's HD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Momo3, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Momo3

Momo3 Thread Starter

Hey there.

I had virus or some sort of corruption on my past PC. I could no longer even get into windows. After some frustration, I just went and bought a new PC.

What I wanted to do was set up the HD from my first PC and put it on this new one as a secondary, and do a virus scan on it.. or - simply take the files I needed off of it and disconnect it.

My problem is this:

When I put in the new HD, it overrides the new PC's HD.

I've tried Bios and it will not let me adjust which HD boots first. It always gives the older HD the first spot in line.

The old HD is an IDE HD I believe. I plugged it into the motherboard directly.

The new HD is SATA.

As far as conifgging the MASTER and SLAVE settings on the back -- I am confused. I've tried many different combos.

Is it a cable issue?

2. stressfreesoul

stressfreesoul

Download The Ultimate Boot CD ISO from one of the mirrors at the bottom of this webpage, burn it to disk and shut the machine down with the CD in the drive. Unplug the machine. Unplug the new HDD, then plug in the old one. Turn the machine on, it should boot to the CD, if not set your CD drive as the first booted in BIOS.
    Once booted, navigate throught the CDs menu to Hard disk tools, Wiping tools, Active Killdisk.
    This program will write over the whole disk with zeroes, which IMHO, is the best option for a drive that has been riddled with virus.

3. stressfreesoul

stressfreesoul

Oh, and Master is the middle plug on the cable slave is the end one (closest to the middle one), Cable Select usually works though.

4. Momo3

Momo3 Thread Starter

Hey can you please send me a pic?

So you're saing the very end of the IDE cable is the slave, and the female plug i the middle of te cable is the master..

and then you put Cable Select on the HDD for the jumper settings?

5. Momo3

Momo3 Thread Starter

Ok I popped it open again and treid the cable a bit more. I see (via the internet) that most IDE cables have the middle section as the slave. I tried to do this and also put it on CABLE SELECT

And it still uses the old IDE as the main drive. UGH

6. arknorth

arknorth

What you might need to avoid the SATA Vs IDE war is a simple HD case to mount the old HD externally - that way it only works when plugged in via a USB.

A-N

7. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

This is only true for older 40 conductor cable select cables. Most older 40 conductor cables will not work for cable select, as they are not wired for it. On current 80 conductor cables, the middle connector is the Slave connector (usually gray), and the Master is always on the end (usually Black). The Motherboard end is colored blue. If the connectors aren't color coded, they are clearly marked as Slave, Master, and (sometimes) Motherboard.

@momo3: Welcome to TSG!

Sounds like your system is just hardwired to boot to an IDE drive first if it finds an active, bootable partition. If the BIOS doesn't have an option someplace to choose SATA vs IDE, you'll need to set the partition on the IDE drive to INACTIVE.

The diskpart utility in the Recovery Console doesn't support that option, so you need to be able to boot to Normal Windows, or some version of Safe Mode with the old drive connected either to this system, or to the old system. If you can't, you can use the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows Live CD to boot the system.

I strongly recommend you do this on the old system, or unplug the SATA drive from the new system before trying this. If you accidentally set the hard drive for the new PC Inactive, (or delete the partition) it will no longer boot.

If you don't need to recover any data from the old drive, you can boot with the Windows CD, follow the steps to install Windows ( do not chose any repair options). When you get to the point where it displays the partitions, then delete the existing partition. Then, press F3 to quit right after deleting the partition. Then boot into windows using the new hard drive, and you can partition and format the drive. Just be sure you don't pick any option that will set the drive active, or make it bootable.

If you need to recover data, then once you are booted into some form of Windows with the IDE drive connected:

1. Open up a command prompt and type DISKPART.
    2. Type LIST DISK
    3. Type SELECT DISK n where n is the number of the drive from the old WinXP
      This will probably be Disk 0
    4. Type LIST PARTITION
    5. Type SELECT PARTITION n where n is the number of the active partition you wish to make inactive
      This will probably be Partition 1
    6. Type INACTIVE
    7. Type EXIT to exit DISKPART
    8. Type EXIT again to exit the command prompt

Shut down the PC, and reconnect the SATA drive, or move the IDE drive to the new PC. It should no longer try to boot to the old drive.

If you boot with the Live CD, you can also use it to copy any data you want to save, then delete the partition on the old drive. Then boot into the new PC's OS to create a new partition and format it.

HTH

Jerry

8. Lucky5tar

Lucky5tar

I also would do this, IDE caddies are dirt cheap, I got mine for about a fiver.

It will save you a lot of pain.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758855

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice