1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

bought used computer help

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by greydini01, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. greydini01

greydini01 Thread Starter

hi I'm a newbie so please b patient with me i bought my son a used computer ,. and 2 weeks later we crashed it I don't know much about "SPECS" but it has windows XP PRO in it and i get a black screen message that says something 2 the effect of systems program cannot b found insert startup disc but unfortunately I did not have the 4-sight 2 get the startup discs and now the guy dummies up when I call him about it

ANY advice would b helpful thank u in advance greydini

2. muppy03

muppy03

First Name:
    Chris
    can you get into safe mode at all?

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The exact text of the error might help. What happened before the problem started? Did you install software? Hardware? Change drivers?

Used computers rarely come with installation or recovery disks. At this point it really isn't the seller's problem. You could try going directly to the computer manufacturer and seeing if they'll get some to you.

4. greydini01

um my son is only 7 and im new 2 so im not sure who messed up but he told me he tried 2 download ad aware not knowing it had 2 be ( AD-Aware) so i think it may have opened a virus however i tried 2 download an ITUNES update while i was running ITUNES and that is when it crashed.

5. greydini01

um my son is only 7 and im new 2 so im not sure who messed up but he told me he tried 2 download ad aware not knowing it had 2 be ( AD-Aware) so i think it may have opened a virus however i tried 2 download an ITUNES update while i was running ITUNES and that is when it crashed.

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

So you have TWO old, used computers? Your other thread is in the Windows 95/98/ME section about a computer pulled out of the trash with a whole mess of errors. Is this an entirely different used computer?

Your posts are very hard to follow. When you talk about a program, use the full, correct name. The application Ad-Aware is actually a spyware removal utility. Installing and running it would not have opened a virus or caused any other such problem. In fact, it's used to clean up from and prevent such problems.

Is that the name of the application you're talking about? If not, what is, and be specific.

The term "crashed" can mean a million things. Did the computer shut off? Display an error? What was the error? Did it burst into flames? Did physical components start making funny noises?

When you buy used or pick up old, discarded computers you inherit a whole mess of problems. There's no telling what was wrong with this computer (or the other one) before you brought it home. Until the entire system is reinstalled from scratch, you're likely to be chasing down one problem after another which may or may not be solvable.

7. greydini01

thank u 4 the tips again im new so i dont know much about chat protocoll but ill try 2 b more clear

8. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If you bought that computer used, who knows what programs and garbage and problems was already in it. A hard drive format and fresh install of Windows XP is probably the best option to get it going again. That's what I do when I inherit a used desktop from someone. A decent computer repair shop will charge over $100.00 to do it(which includes the cost of the operating system). Unfortunately, you have a 7-year old using it and going online, so it's not going to take him long at all before he crashes it again. Home Edition is cheaper than Pro to buy and install.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755629

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice