Bout to buy a new processor to install...question...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ChrisEllingt

I currently have a Socket A AMD Duron 800 processor and I am planning to upgrade to a Socket A AMD Athlon XP 1700 processor...from everything I have read, my motherboard will support this new processor...I have heard horror stories that it is possible that installing a new processor could fry the entire motherboard and anything attached to it...is this true? My friend recommended that I just buy a new motherboard with the processor built in, but I don't have that money right now...is it safe for me to just buy the processor(with the heat sink, fan, paste, etc...package)...?

Hi ChrisEllingt - welcome to TSG. :)

If you have the motherboard manual, it should provide you jumper positions to change in order to configure the new processor for the correct voltage.

You will also need to change your BIOS to reflect the new processor.

What is your mobo make/model?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online