1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

box around some text

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by framondj, Oct 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. framondj

framondj Thread Starter

Hi all,

In old versions odf Word (97) when you made a box around some text it was possible to change the spacing between the box and the text (at the begining or the end: |text| could be modified like | text |)

I could not find a way to modify this under Word 2000 or Word XP.
    The only way I found was to create a text box and fiddle with it. This is not clean.

Does anyone know a way to do that?

TIA

Jean

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Insert a none breakink space from special characters

3. framondj

framondj Thread Starter

Thanks Dave,
    It works, but why a non breaking space? Is it different from a standard space? Is there a way to specify its width?

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

It is a different hex value and is treated as a character and therefore part of a word.
    No you cannot unless you fancy changing the font size just for that character

5. framondj

framondj Thread Starter

OK Thanks for the info

6. lora_3677

lora_3677

OR you can try this.... type your text in the box, right click, choose paragragh... you can change the left margin, right margin, top and bottom spacing of the paragraph. You can even change the indention of the first line, etc.

I just did this in Word 2000, so I know it works there.

7. lora_3677

lora_3677

OH, maybe I should add... I use the AutoShapes toolbar to create my rectangle, right click, Add Text (changes to a text box) and go from there..... but I re read your post and you don't want to 'fiddle with it', so I guess you will have to use the non breaking spaces.... Thinking that isn't so 'clean' either...

8. framondj

framondj Thread Starter

You're right it works, the only thing is that you cannot take a text that was already typed and add boxes around some words. This is why I will have to stick to the non-breaking spaces for now.
    thanks for your answer

Jean

9. lora_3677

lora_3677

ok. sorry. i misunderstood... you are aware you can put boxes around the text and set the fill color to 'no fill'? that way the text that was already typed shows through.

but i'm not sure exactly what you are wanting to do.. it just seems there must be a faster way to do that than adding nonbreaking spaces around everything you want to box... jmo

10. framondj

framondj Thread Starter

Yes i found out about the no-fill. The only advantage of the nbrk is that if I insert text anywhere (in front, behind or within the box) it adapts the box (it move it to the next line, extends it...

11. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Double-click the border of the text box.
    Hit the Text Box tab.
    There's internal margins there.
    No?

If not, then I don't understand what you need, or you're not talking about textboxes...

12. framondj

framondj Thread Starter

I was not talking about text boxes as defined in Word but about the outside borders you can apply to a paragraph or a piece of text (select some text, go to menu format -> borders and shading, select box.)
    If in the bottom right you select apply to: paragraph, you can click the options button and change the space between text and border.
    If you select text instead, you cannot modify it. Under Word 97 it was possible.

13. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Sorry, framondj. I just opened Word 97. When I select "text" instead of "Paragraph", the options button becomes dimmed. Want to see a screen capture?

14. framondj

framondj Thread Starter

Hmmm I admit that I don't remember exactly how I was doing under Word97 . I guess I will have to reinstall it and find a saved copy of a document to refresh my memory!!
    Or use the non breaking space trick that does what I want -:)

15. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    You can also just turn some of your font color white and use dashes to space it out...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169861

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice