1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Brace your self! Linux Newbie With Questions

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by CharlieMouse, Sep 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CharlieMouse

CharlieMouse Thread Starter

Hi,
    I just installed red hat 9 on my box, I want to get mysql and apache running.
    I had mysql up and running but I had to reinstall in linux.

I cant get it to start now, I went to the cd and clicked on the rpm to try to install it that way but it said it all realdy was.

I choses to install when I set up linux, but like I said I cant get to run now, that or Apache.

what folder are they located in,

if someone whould take a few minutes to help me I would be thankful :cool:
    thanks Charlie

2. trev.h

trev.h

I would try a quick and dirty first.
    Go to Add/Remove Applications, on your Desktop "Start Here" button, and System Settings.

Remove the packages for mysql and apache (do the update) and then add them again.

Sometimes sorts minor problems out.

Trev.

3. deuce868

deuce868

can you be a bit more specific than "I can't get it to start"?

How are you trying to start them, manually or as a daemon? Are you getting an error messages on screen when you try to run them?

4. CharlieMouse

Hey, sorry for not responding sooner, got it started, used the services options in linux 9. new problem is I got to find where to put php files so they will work in apache, I found the root directory, but still not sure where to put files. I'm not sure php is configued to work with apache, it also install when Installed the OS.

I am reading more on where to put the files now, and how to configure apache.
    I'm not used to apache on linux, under windows I had it working.

Well thanks for reading but I think my answers will come as I study the white papers more and play around with the config files. I may have question in the futher.

charlie

5. deuce868

deuce868

if things are configured then I think the web root should be /var/www/

The best thing to do is check the apache config file. It should tell you the web root near the top of it.

6. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Scripts will run from the /var/www/cgi-bin directory. Your document root should be /var/www/html.

7. CharlieMouse

there is no cgi-bin there.

8. CharlieMouse

i put some files in the /var/www/html folder and they did not work. There is a usage folder in there.

9. CharlieMouse

found the cgi-bin
    You don't have permission to access /test.php
    this is what I get when I try to load the page?? its a 403 error.

any clues

10. deuce868

deuce868

yea, make sure the file permissions are set to 755, so you might need to use the command:
    chmod 755 test.php

The php file should be in the html folder though, not the cgi-bin folder.

11. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

so what does that tell you.

What are the permissions on that file. Open up a command prompt and Change Directory to /var/www/cgi-bin and type ls -l What are the user and group id's and what are there permsissions set at.

copy and paste that output into here if you dont understand it all.

12. CharlieMouse

someone suggested this but I do not underit where do I type the
    chmod 755 MyWeb part .

You have to remember that the web server is probably operating under it's own user account (like www or whatever it is -- try 'ps -ajx|grep http' to see). So, you need to let the webserver read your webpages. The Sites folder is set up for public access, but your Documents folder is not. Heck, you don't want a billion poeple looking at your docs. But if you do, you'll need to set the permissions correctly. Try 'chmod 755 MyWeb' from your HTML dir to give read access to the world (including the web server). Basically, you got a permissions problem. About 95% of Unix problems are permission problems.

13. deuce868

deuce868

1) you need to pull up a command promt
    2) go to the web directory (ie cd /var/www/ )
    3) perform the chmod command on the file

The other thing to check is to go up one directory from your web root
    cd ../
    and check that the web root folder is set to 755. The easiest thing might just be to go ahead and run the same command here on that directory:
    chmod 755 www (or whatever the web root folder is called)

14. CharlieMouse

wow

ok I can see the standard html page but now the php part. Now I got to figular out why the php part is not working. When I write the file do i save them as php3 or php.

15. deuce868

deuce868

the file should end in .php

is the page available to the internet? If so I can take a look at it for you. Otherwise paste in the php code I can see if there is something obvious that could be wrong.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168558

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice