1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

brand new acer aspire x3950 pc takes 10 - 15 minutes!! to start up!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dgdc, Dec 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dgdc

dgdc Thread Starter

The computer was bought less than two months ago. It has 1 Tb hard drive, 6 gb ddr3 memory, windows 7 home premium 64 bit, Intel core i3 processor 540. We have 874 gb of 917 gb free space so it's not as if the system is overloaded.

It powers down instantly. On start-up it takes anything from 10 to 15 to 20 minutes to start up!! Even pressing f12 or del takes 5 minutes to "launch".

This is the second acer (exact same model) we bought within the last 2 months, the first had the same problem within the first day, and on the second day it had died completely (no lights, no sound, no life!). We bought another thinking the first was just a factory "mistake". It worked ok for the first couple of days, start up was not as fast as expected, about 2 minutes, but we thought it would be ok. Now it shows the same problem. We could just leave it on all the time, but it would be nice to have it work as efficiently as our other, older and less powerful computers.

I've searched the net and tried to do a select start-up by deleting what I don't need - NO improvement at all!
    I've uninstalled the IDE controllers, restarted so that it can be re-installed, NO improvement at all.
    I've had an online chat with an acer tech support guy who was no help at all - told me to run through the usual - check for viruses, do disk cleanup etc etc, did it all - NO improvement!

If someone knows of the cause of this problem, PLEASE advise! I cannot help thinking (and hoping) that it may just be a simple setting somewhere...

I would take it back to Acer but unfortunately (at present) it suits our requirements and our budget perfectly. I don't want to downgrade, and I don't really want to spend more money for upgrading. I've had Acer laptops for many years with no problems at all.

thanks

2. Megabite

Megabite

Howdy,

You could post your HijackThis log and see if anything shows up

Download HijackThis to your desktop
    • Click on Executable
    • Click Run and Install
    • it will launch Hijack This
    • Click on "scan system and save a logfile" usually in notepad
    • Copy and Paste the logfile in your next post
    • Using Ctrl+A to copy All and Ctrl+C to copy and Ctrl+V to paste.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/968614

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice