1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Brand new clean install Win2k. Freezes after 2-3 minutes of use!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mixx941, Jun 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mixx941

mixx941 Thread Starter

Hi everyone. It seems I have the worst luck with Windows these days, but here is my problem.

I have made two clean installs of Windows 2000 Professional today trying to figure out a problem. It all started with my first install. It was behaving funny, freezing on startup (after desktop icons loaded) every other reboot or so. I put the latest Via chipset drivers on there, and nVidia video drivers (to get out of 16 color mode) and then the freezing upon boot seemed to stop.

I had already made the mistake of installing a few applications such as Firefox and Atomic Clock Sync, etc. Not only did it crash on boot every other boot or so, it would always freeze 2-3 minutes after starting a VNC session (using RealVNC). I tried troubleshooting those problems all evening, and I thought I would just start clean, in case something happened along the way.

So an hour or so ago, I started the 2000 install process again. It went fine and didn't have any problems. I installed a firewall first, just to be sure I didn't get the new install infected in any way. I went to download the nVidia drivers so I could actually see things in a decent resolution and color quality. That went fine as well.

I installed RealVNC and tried it from another machine. Speed was nice and fast, but just like before, it freezes the whole computer after 2-3 minutes, and I have to do a hard reset. Same result with UltraVNC I'm afraid. :(

I posted this in the Windows forum because I've checked out various aspects of the system. I've done several memory tests over the course of the evening, all of which were successful on many passes with 0 errors. Also, when running Knoppix, things were just fine with no problems.

Is something somehow messed up in Windows 2000? I'm not sure where to go from here.

Thanks very much.

-Mark

2. XtremeNuker

XtremeNuker

First thing did you

1. Overclock your CPU
    2. Is your system over heating
    3. Is it a faulty motherboard
    4. All all the hardware working perfectly or are there faulty ones.

Anyone of the above mentioned symptoms.

3. mixx941

mixx941 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

1) No, not that I know of. A friend sent me this box to host something here. It's a 1.2GHz AMD processor (Athlon I think), on a MSI K7T266 Pro2 motherboard. It has a GeForce 2 AGP video card, as well as a PCI sound card (not sure what make/model).

2) I don't believe so. I will go double check with Speedfan, but the case is still wide open since I put the hard drive in, and it's 71* in here.

3) Again, I don't think so. I've worked with this box a little bit in Knoppix when it arrived last week to make sure things worked, and it was fine then. The hard drive for it just came in yesterday, so this is the first time I've used Windows with it. Is there any tools you recommend to check the motherboard?

4) I would assume the hardware is good. It was built by a system administrator, taken care of, and really barely used. Nothing visible I can see.

I've tried several tests already in the "Ultimate Boot CD" package, such as:

Memtest86
    Memtest86+
    Windows Memory Diagnostic
    TestMem4
    DocMem RAM Diagnostic 2.1b
    ctramtest5.1

-Mark

4. AGCurry

AGCurry

Well, it sure sounds like the problem is with the VNC application.

5. mixx941

mixx941 Thread Starter

While possible, I don't see why it would do it with two different VNC applications, as well as the freezing upon boot before.

I've ran Speedfan now and come up with some disturbing results. I had to cut these screenshots quickly, and paint didn't have export to JPG so they are a little big.

This was right upon boot:

[​IMG]

Not sure how it got so small, my picture was bigger, but the readings say:

Temp1: 50*C
    Temp2: 47*C
    Temp: 47*C

After 2-3 minutes, it gets to this:

[​IMG]

Temp1: 54*C
    Temp2: 52*C
    Temp: 52*C

In the "Config" area, it showed this for the different names:

[​IMG]

Temp1: Winbond ???????
    Temp2: Winbond ???????
    Temp: UM75

Then another minute, and it freezes. Note that this is without VNC at all, just sitting at the machine.

I was going to try to check event viewer, and when I got there, there were several errors in Red that looked like something to do with VNC or remote control.

I'll double check that and post it back.

-Mark

6. mixx941

mixx941 Thread Starter

Several of those were listed in the Event Viewer for last night around the time that I was working on it.

-Mark

7. lirong

lirong

I am having a similar problem on my desktop - also running Windows 2000. However I am not as sophisicated a user, and dont know how to even begin checking these things discussed below:

Can someone help me figure out how to try and check/diagnose whether these things can be the problem?

I saw things like Speedfan and Knoppix and Ultimate Boot CD mentioned - are they programs for diagnostics? Can someone please help me learn where to find and how to use these?

Thanks.

8. mixx941

mixx941 Thread Starter

Speedfan is a program to show the temps of various PC components. Speedfan is here.

Knoppix is a bootable Linux distro that I used before, and it worked fine with Knoppix, so I narrowed the problem down to Windows in some way. Here is Knoppix.

Ultimate Boot CD has various diagnostic tools such as memory tests, CPU tests, etc. I ran most of the memory tests on that CD to rule out the memory.

For my problem, I have some new developments.

1) Even though Speedfan did show the burning icon next to a few of the readings, I don't think that's it because it worked in Knoppix fine.

2) I've also booted up in to Safe Mode and tried launching many applications. Going on 11 minutes with no problems....so I doubt it's the heat.

Any ideas? I really need to get this PC up ASAP.

Thanks very much! :)

-Mark

9. mixx941

mixx941 Thread Starter

Okay I've tried another test.

I took the network card out and booted it up a few times. No freeze on boot, no freeze after 10-15 minutes of use.

I put another NIC in, one that I know to work from a different system, and immediately Windows freezes upon boot. I do a hard reboot, and it comes back. It doesn't install any default drivers for the LNE100TX, so that's not functional.

Thanks

-Mark

10. lirong

lirong

Mark-

The problem I am having sounds very similar. I also so far have not had it pop up in Safe mode, although sometimes it does take a while to freeze so I cant be certain yet.

I have a Dell and their tech had me run a diagnostics program that told me my Real Time Clock is not working properly. He said this means that my processor is going bad and needs to be replaced and thats probably causing the problem - but Im not sure thats right either (why is safe mode working if thats the case?).

I did notice in my event manager I had some Error messages related to Net Logon, DHCP and a couple of others. My system is part of a home print share network - I wonder if the Workgroup networking could be part of the problem? Are you by any chance home networking on the PC?

11. mixx941

mixx941 Thread Starter

Well all I had set up so far was connecting to the internet via a router. No print/file sharing or anything.

As much as I hate it, I'm trying Windows XP on this machine just to see if the same problems still happen. I know I can't use my CD on this machine forever, but I can install it and test.

-Mark

12. mixx941

mixx941 Thread Starter

Okay I have determined this is not a specific Windows problem, since the same things happen in Knoppix as well now (did not the other day).

I posted a thread in Hardware here.

lirong:

If you can download Knoppix and give it a try, it's pretty easy. You just boot it, and you can give it a try. If it still has problems, then it's gotta be hardware.

-Mark

13. lirong

lirong

Mark-

When you say give it a try - Is Knoppix just a Linux O/S that I should try running to see whether this is OS specific or not? Is that what you mean?

What should I be looking for within Speedfan?

Thanks.

14. mixx941

mixx941 Thread Starter

Yes. It helped me determine if it's hardware or Windows itself.

With Speedfan, I guess look for anything in the reds, however depending on your configuration that may or may not be hot for your particular system. In my case, I don't think heat is really an issue.

-Mark

15. lirong

lirong

After a recent freeze, I received the following list of erros in my Event Viewer (sorry if its a bit lengthy).

Mark - Are you experiencing anything similar? Can anyone make sense of these?

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Service Control Manager
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 7001
    Date: 6/30/2005
    Time: 11:37:04 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: DESKTOP
    Description:
    The SAVScan service depends on the SAVRT service which failed to start because of the following error:
    A device attached to the system is not functioning.

Time: 11:37:04 AM
    Description:
    The System Event Notification service depends on the COM+ Event System service which failed to start because of the following error:
    No attempts to start the service have been made since the last boot.

Event ID: 7026
    Time: 11:37:18 AM
    Description:
    The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
    SAVRT
    SAVRTPEL
    SYMTDI

Time: 11:37:19 AM
    Description:
    The Remote Access Connection Manager service depends on the Telephony service which failed to start because of the following error:
    No attempts to start the service have been made since the last boot.

Event Source: SAVRT
    Event ID: 6
    Time: 11:36:00 AM
    Description:
    Incompatible version of SYMEVENT.SYS is loaded.
    Data:
    0000: 00 00 00 00 01 00 54 00 ......T.
    0008: 00 00 00 00 06 00 07 c0 .......À
    0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

Event Source: DCOM
    Event ID: 10010
    Time: 11:38:52 AM
    User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Description:
    The server did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

Event Source: DCOM
    Event ID: 10010
    Time: 11:46:03 AM
    User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Description:
    The server did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/376267

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice