1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

brand new comp problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by galen, Aug 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. galen

galen Thread Starter

Hi...
    I just got my brand new custom built computer from NCIX.com working...It was working fine, playing all my games in the highest settings...when i was installing a game that came with my asus video card my computer decided to start shutting down....i have a lanparty motherboard designed for overclocking and i overclocked its slightly and increased some of the DRAM voltages...when i start it back up it asks me if i want to run in safe mode..safe mode with networking..or safe mode with a prompt. it also asks if i want to run it in the last workable settings or the just open windows normally...then a blue screen pops up and says that a problem has been detected and that windows shut down to prevent any hardware from being damaged. i put all my BIOS setting back to their original setting but everytime i try and start my computer this same old blue screen pops up telling me that i have to do all this stuff like run memory test or check for BIOS updates..what should i do...should i reformat????????? :( :(

2. brite750

brite750

I guess if it was me I would try to reset the bios by pulling the battery or use the jumper (if there is one)

You can test the memory with Memtest if you can boot to a floppy?

3. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

did setting bios back to original settings change the overclocking/voltage back to default.

unless you really know what your doing, i'm not sure you're even close, overclocking runs hotter, changing voltages????? and you wonder why you now have problems.

4. galen

galen Thread Starter

It was actually one of my friends...so how do i reset the bios

5. galen

galen Thread Starter

how do i do a memory test

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. Post number 2 says how to do that.

7. ~Candy~

8. galen

galen Thread Starter

its o.k my dad is gonna take it into discovery computers
    now its really messed up...i reset the BIOS to factory default settings and now it won't even show the Lan Party display and i can't even get into BIOS + it makes this repetitive beeping noise....i don't know what to do so i am taking it into the shop!

thanks anyways guys

9. ~Candy~

Give us a final report :)

10. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

ask the person who got you into the pickle you're in.

perhaps your bonehead friend wasn't as smart as you thought. :eek:

11. galen

galen Thread Starter

yeah.....lol he is in university doing all this stuff with computers so.......

12. dtpollock

dtpollock

First Name:
    Duncan
    First of all, yes I would definitely recommend stopping the overclocking of the CPU. Secondly, you should try rebooting, and pressing F8 when the computer gives the first beep at POST (Power On Self Test). From here, choose Last Known Good Configuration.

Of course, now that you're getting someone else to fix it, you don't have to worry...................but that's what I would do anyway.

13. dtpollock

dtpollock

First Name:
    Duncan
    First of all, yes I would definitely recommend stopping the overclocking of the CPU. Secondly, you should try rebooting, and pressing F8 when the computer gives the first beep at POST (Power On Self Test). From here, choose Last Known Good Configuration.

Of course, now that you're getting someone else to fix it, you don't have to worry...................but that's what I would do anyway.

Duncan Pollock
    Comptia A+ Certified
    Currently working on Network+

14. galen

galen Thread Starter

yeah i already tried that lol...it asked me if i would like to view advanced startup options by pressing f8.....i started it up with the last know good configuration and it still didn't start..i used all the start up options

what now

comps still here haven't taken it in yet

15. Derrick

Derrick

Get the manual out and find the clear cmos jumper , jump it to the next pin wait a minuit then jump it back to the origional position, this should clear the cmos and set the bios to default.

Do this when the computer is unplugged!!

Then plug it back in and turn it on.

you should be able to get into the bios then.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/389586

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice