1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Brand new computer, CD-ROM issues

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by yonjamin, Sep 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. yonjamin

yonjamin Thread Starter

I bought an eMachines computer not much more than a month ago. It actually got good reviews or I wouldn't have. But about a week or two ago, maybe a bit more, I started having problems with both the DVD-RW and CD-RW. They would not open, nor were they listed in My Computer or Device Manager.

Eventually the DVD began functioning pretty normally again, but the CD-ROM did not. When I found some free time I did some investigating.

I looked to see if the light was coming on in the front panel of it during startup. It wasn't. I switched the power cables first, moving P2 and P3 (the CD-ROM and DVD-ROM ones, respectively) and also P6, which was attached to the hard drive. No luck. I then found an extra IDE cable and switched it out. When I booted, the lights in both blinked; however, the DVD worked and still the CD-ROM did not. Eventually I realized that I could at least get the light to blink on the CD, but only the first boot after unplugging and reconnecting the IDE cable.

Now, I called eMachines tech support and they seemed to think it was simply a faulty CD-ROM. I'm not so sure, because the DVD-ROM had the same problems and they seemingly "went away"...but sometimes the DVD still wont be recognized.

Also, lately the computer has slowed down quite a bit but I think that is probably completely unrelated, with spy/adware being the perpetrator.

Any ideas anyone?

2. pinntech

pinntech

It is always good to check for viruses, adware, and spyware...

However, it is possible for one drive to go bad or be going bad and it will cause the other one to ACT UP. Since they are usually on the same IDE controller... this includes, the good one working part of the time, the good one not being recognized all the time and so forth.

Unhook the one you think is bad, and see if you continue to have problems. If your problems go away, you have found the source!

Have great evening!!

Shane

3. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

Surely if its brand new and tech support thinks its a faulty Cd rom you can get it replaced under warranty?

You can always go here http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html and post back a log for analysis if you think it might be spyware

4. yonjamin

yonjamin Thread Starter

Thank you, that was my gut feeling. Unplugged the CD-ROM and haven't had problems since. I had always assumed that problems on the same IDE cont. might trickle down the line but never knew for sure. Thanks for clearing that up!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!