1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Brand New Computer Keeps Freezing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by EpicHoagie, Aug 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. EpicHoagie

EpicHoagie Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 21 Model 2 Stepping 0
    Processor Count: 6
    RAM: 16342 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, -1 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 921 GB (816 GB Free); E: 931 GB (745 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., 970A-DS3P
    Antivirus: Spybot - Search and Destroy, Enabled and Updated

So I JUST got this computer less than a month ago. When it came, I waited to set it up so I could order some new RAM for it. I definitely made sure with a techy friend of mine to check the GHz and other specs of the new cards. The motherboard has 4 RAM slots alternating black and gray. I made sure the new sticks (both 8gb RAM sticks MEANT to be plugged in 2 at a time) were in the corresponding slots as per the information my friend pulled up. I.E., if I put one in gray, the other needs to be in the other gray slot.

That said, this blasted thing keeps freezing whenever I'm doing THE most mundane things. Do I need to just get rid of the RAM sticks I paid out the nose for and reinstall the stick it came with? What do I do?

Despite my obvious frustration, I appreciate any and all help you're willing to offer. Thank you in advance!

Edit for additional info I remembered:
    The RAM sticks I bought are even the same brand as the original one this computer came with. I don't know how much difference that makes but yeah...

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That motherboard is going on 5yrs old. Are you sure these are new parts?
    Next you have not included the most important spec; what exact pw supply are your using?
    Here is a link to the support page for your motherboard. Note there are two different ver; 1x and 2x so be sure you use the correct page;
    https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-970A-DS3P-rev-10#ov

I would download and install easytune. Once easytune is installed, post the following data; cpu temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. Do this twice; once under a normal load and while running a stress test ie prime95, OCCT, etc.

4. EpicHoagie

Thanks for that info! But, do please pardon my lack of knowledge in this area - how do I know which version I have? And how do I find the exact power supply I'm using?

This is all quite new to me. So, again, apologies and thank you.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Open the case and look. The pw supply will have a label and the mb will have the ver# silkscreened on the board itself.

AmateurJohn likes this.
  6. EpicHoagie

Got it. Will do later tonight. Work is in the way at the moment.

7. EpicHoagie

Alright I opened her up. I looked all over the MB and wasn't able to spot a 1X or 2X label. I did however get the power supply model.

PW: Thermaltake SMART 500W 80Plus

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Those are ok for basic use however not for gaming or overclocking. While it may not be the cause of your problem, I would consider getting a high end pw supply IF you want to run a gaming type card.
    What were the temps and voltages?

9. EpicHoagie

After fighting the app center for a while, I've got easytune installed, but I don't know how to get temp readouts from it. I'm finding the menus less than intuitive, but then, again, I'm new to this.

To clarify, however, I'm not aiming to do high-end gaming or overclocking in the first place. I just want to reliably be able to do my daily web browsing and, more importantly, use my art tablet without the computer freezing on me. Kinda need that for work lol

As far as I can tell with physical sensations (i.e. putting my hand by the fan when it freezes), it's not a temperature thing. It's always quite cool to the touch. Still wonder if I may have overdone it by installing 16gb of RAM where this thing came with 8gb.

EDIT

No wonder I can't find the redouts you asked for. The window was hidden on my other monitor (which was turned off)

At rest, we're looking at the following:

CPU - 48 C
    12V - 12.24 V
    5V - 5.13 V
    3.3V - 3.36396 V

Also, I show that I have System Fans 1 and 2 as well as a Power Fan. SF 2 is 1303 RPM while SF1 and PF are at 0 RPM. Could this be the culprit?

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If there is nothing connected to those headers, then it reads 0. Those look ok however what readings do you get when you run a stress test?
    Let the stress test run for at least 2min to stabilize temps and voltages.

11. EpicHoagie

And to stress test it I simply set the overclock higher than average right? How high should I go if that's the case?

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Already been explained to you in post #3. You need to run a stress test such as prime95, realbench, OCCT [all free downloads]

13. EpicHoagie

Oh I see alright, that's my mistake. I had assumed they were sections of easytune rather than separate programs. Apologies!

14. EpicHoagie

After about 3 minutes of stress testing, the readout gave me this:

CPU - 66 C
    12V - 12.096 V
    5V - 5.13 V
    3.3V - 3.34417 V

Edit - apologies for the wait btw. I needed to take care of something.

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Those are ok. Next test your ram with memtest. Run memtest for at least 1hr. If there are no errors, then your memory is fine.
    http://www.memtest.org/

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1214014

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice