1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Brand new computer slow internet while all laptops are fast

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Vibes92, Apr 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Vibes92

Vibes92 Thread Starter

I have a brand new computer I assembled myself with some of the newest parts available.
    I also just recently got a new ISP, the speed is up to 18mbps.
    My laptops are all connected through wireless and are getting anywhere between 15-18mbps while my desktop which is connected with an ethernet cable is getting around 6-7mbps.
    I have all the latest drivers and did scans with Bitdefender and Advanced System Care and there were no problems with viruses/malware/etc.
    Also, I'm not running any bandwidth consuming programs (uTorrent, etc).
    I have 8GB of RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit.

What seems to be the problem?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Does another computer get significantly higher speeds using the same ethernet cable and router LAN port?

3. Vibes92

Vibes92 Thread Starter

No, the speed doesn't change when using the ethernet cable which is Cat5e by the way.
    It must be something that has to do with the configurations of the networking on the computer, any idea?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sorry, that's not clear to me. When you try another computer via ethernet the speed doesn't change from the slow speed the problematic computer gets or doesn't change from the higher speed the other computer gets via wireless?

5. Vibes92

Vibes92 Thread Starter

You kind of confused me also, I'll try to clarify.
    When the ethernet cable is plugged into the problematic computer I'm getting slow speeds, when I plug the same cable to a different computer its speed doesn't change (stays fast), so the cable is not the problem here.
    I have a Cat5e RJ45 ethernet cable.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Got it now; thanks. :)

Sometimes a NIC and the router or switch at the other end of the cable have trouble auto negotiating a speed. In Device Manager right click the ethernet adapter - Properties - Advanced tab - try different values for the 'Speed & Duplex' property, starting with 100 Mbps full duplex. If a few such settings don't improve the speed set it back to Auto.

7. Vibes92

Vibes92 Thread Starter

I tried 100 Mbps full+half duplex and also 1 Gbps full duplex and the 10 Mbps ones and there was no change, I put it back to auto-negotiation. What now? :(

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure you have the latest ethernet driver. From the motherboard manufacturer's web site if the adapter is integrated. For a PCI adapter from the adapter manufacturer's site.

Try TCP Optimizer.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista or 7.

Start - All Programs - Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

Gigabit ethernet uses all eight wires while 100/10 Mbps ethernet uses only four. So, it is theoretically possible for a cable to be defective, but the defect will not show up unless using a gigabit adapter. So, my last idea (other than a defective NIC) on this is that the problem may still be the cable if the other computer you used for a test does not have gigabit ethernet.

9. Vibes92

Vibes92 Thread Starter

I have the latest driver.
    Wasn't exactly sure how to use the TCP Optimizer.
    I ran all of those commands.

Nothing changed, it might have increased by half a megabyte but that's probably what it does anyway, problem is still unresolved. I'm gonna call my ISP and ask for a technician to check out everything, maybe something is blocking or limiting my bandwidth, hopefully he'll be able to fix it.

Thanks for your help and if you have any other ideas how to solve this I'd be glad to try them out.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    ?? Maybe it changed since the last time I needed it. Just run it, make sure it saves the current settings, and then accept its suggested changes. It's never made things worse for me, so I no longer worry about saving current settings.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1049089

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice