1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Brand new, home made comp... PROBLEMS!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by weslee, Aug 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. weslee

weslee Thread Starter

Alright, I just built myself a new computer, but when I turn on the power, the screen receives no signal. :confused: I checked and all my power cables are connected; the videocard needs no power. I checked to make sure the videocard was seated properly, and that the motherboard's power connectors plugged in well. Does anyone have any ideas?

2. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

You are probably shorted out on the mobo somewhere. Pull everything off the board except memory and cpu + video card and try it. If that dont work pull the mobo and hook everything up outside the box sitting on a piece of cardboard. The box the board came in will work for that. If you get a post outside the box put it back in being sure you aren't touching the case or any extra standoffs.

3. norton850

norton850

Hey! I admit that I did this. When you say all power connecters does that include the extra 4 pin connector for the CPU if needed. If you try what skivvywaver suggested without any change, how about posting all the components of your new system.

4. weslee

weslee Thread Starter

Okay, let me list my components...

Power: Antec 430 TruePower
    mobo: Abit IC7 MAX 3
    Proc: P4 2.8 Ghz (northwood)
    RAM: 2 sticks of 256mb each
    optical: DVD/CD burner
    Video card: ATI Radeon 9600 XT
    HD: WD 36GB 10,000 RPM

right now I SO do not want to have to pull out my mobo. It took forever to get everything in there right... so I'd like to try all other possible solutions first if we can. -- will the computer POST if there is no CPU? What if the RAM is not installed correctly... will it POST or not?

-Weslee

5. weslee

weslee Thread Starter

okay, i unplugged EVERYTHING except for the videocard, mobo power, proc power, and the lil' plugs that connect the mobo to the front panel power button, restet button, and LED's.

...............still nothing................... *ugh*

6. weslee

weslee Thread Starter

One other question..... can i pull my processor back out without damaging it... or does it have to stay in place once it's in there?

7. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I don't know how you can install ram incorrectly, but try reseating it. You may not WANT to pull everything out of the box but you may have to.
    You can try for days but if something is shorted on the back of that board it ain't gonna boot, post, or anything close.

8. norton850

norton850

You may just have left this out, but I assume you did put the memory back in. Did you try one stick at a time.

9. weslee

weslee Thread Starter

So are you saying that a metal connector or something on the back of the MOBO could be shorted out??? Can that damage my mobo?!?

10. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Hell no the machine won't post with no CPU. LOL

11. weslee

weslee Thread Starter

I did try one stick at a time, and that didn't work either... i'm almost POSITIVE though that I have the RAM seated properly though... it's in there tight

12. weslee

weslee Thread Starter

one thing that has been on my mind: .... when i first put in the CPU, i lined up the pins and inserted them in... but realized i had not pulled up the lever yet... so with the pins still in, i slowly pulled the lever up, which let the CPU slide in a lil' further... then I pulled the lever back down and locked it in..... should I take off my heatsink and pull out my CPU to check if i bent a pin or something?

13. norton850

norton850

It's no fun taking the MB out as was suggested earlier, but it looks like that's next.

14. weslee

weslee Thread Starter

K... that'll probably be a task for tomorrow then.... I'll reply back tomorrow after I do that.

15. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Weslee, If you have tried reseating everything with the board. If you have tried unplugging all the cdroms and the hard drive floppy etc.
    You need to try to do a minimal boot. Only ram, cpu, video card. If you have done this and still get no post, you are most likely going to have to pull the board and see if you can get a post outside the computer. Anything touching metal where it isn't supposed to touch can stop your post. I know it sucks to pull the board, I have had to do it. We all have had to do it. :)

I doubt you are going to hurt your board with a no post short. If you pull the board and get nothing then you know you have a bad board. If you do, and I think you will get a post the board is fine. There is only one way to tell.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/260938

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice