1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Brand New Laptop Faulty

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hanteraren, May 16, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Hanteraren

Hanteraren Thread Starter

Hi there!

Picked up a brand new Chuwi Lapbook SE 7 days ago and instantly ran into some problems I hope you guys can help me out. It has not been working properly since day 1.

Now here's the problem,

When I first turned it on everything went good. Was setting up Windows 10, username, wifi, microsoft account etc. Suddenly I heard a little "click" and it turned off. Tried to start it again but it didn't react.
    Left it for some minutes and I tried again, it turned on. Gave it a new try, setting up Windows etc, and it died again.

What I've been testing so far:

Drain the battery
    Disconnect the battery
    Apply new thermal paste
    Connect a HDMI cable to an external display
    Remove the keyboard ribbon cable as soon as I started the laptop (to check for a faulty power button)
    Remove the screen cable
    Ran memory and HD test, nothing wrong
    Checking the battery/AC with an multimeter (no defect battery or charger)

It looks like the longer I wait before turning it on, the longer it can stay on - like it's charging the internals itself, weird huh? So I decided to left it off for 24 hours, and guess what - it stayed on long enough for me to finish the windows cofiguration - but then again, it died. Left it off for about 4 hours - stayed on for about 10 minutes, was able to update the graphic drivers, didn't help.

When it shuts down, the backlit keyboard can still be switched on/off and it does charge my phone from USB. I also changed the power settings within Windows, made no difference.

So, I contacted the seller and the Chuwi support by email. They do not answer althought the laptop came with 12 months warranty.

If anyone knows what's going on, or what I can try next - please do tell!
    I'm prepared to send 50 USD by paypal for a solution.

Thanks alot for taking your time to read.

ps, excuse my English :)

Chuwi LapBook SE
    Processor: Intel Celeron N4100
    Graphics adapter: Intel UHD Graphics 600, Shared Memory, 6286
    Memory: 4096 MB LPDDR4 dual-channel
    Display: 13.3 inch 16:9, 1920 x 1080 pixel 166 PPI glossy
    Mainboard: Gemini Lake
    Storage: SanDisk DF4032, 32 GB + FORESEE 128 GB m.2 SSD

2. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    If this new laptop is under warranty, that's the best route to take.

Is there a support forum for that manufacturer?

3. Hanteraren

Well, as I said - the support doesn't answer me - heard similar stories from others having problem with Chuwi support not answering :(

Also tried booting with Linux, same happens - it dies

4. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John

An online help forum for that product, is what i meant to post.

Sorry I can't help any further, but good luck in solving it.

5. Hanteraren

Oh, yeah there is a forum - but it's dead.

Thanks anyway :)

6. lynx1021

lynx1021

If it did the same running Linux from a usb or CD that usually means its a hardware problem.

7. Hanteraren

Yeah :( but is there a way to find out which one? I mean, according to the multimeter every component is getting the correct resistance/voltage and amp

8. lynx1021

lynx1021

Sounds like a overheating problem,maybe it has some shut/down protection setting in the BIOS? Saw where the operating system is placed only has 32GB space, not enough to update windows 10 to later editions. This artical says you can manually switch the OS installation onto the other drive yourself . https://www.techradar.com/reviews/chuwi-lapbook-se

9. Hanteraren

Yeah, I've been thinking about that possible settings in the bios, but I can't seem to find it, if it even exist. I've been trying to switch the OS already to SSD, but it will shut down before I even finish halfway :(

Edit: Had a program running for a while, to check the temperature of the internals, nothing abnormal

10. lynx1021

lynx1021

Did you check the voltage on the AC adapter? Or it could be a regulator on the board in the power input section.

11. Hanteraren

AC adapter checked, correct voltage. The internals seems to be ok, measured all components.

Was able to enter windows and check event viewer. Before it turned off it says:

"Connectivity state in standby: Disconnected, Reason: NIC compliance" (kernel-power ID 172)

What does that mean?

If I manage to take some pictures of all events in the log when it shuts down, could you please have a look if you see something that can point at the problem? :)

12. Hanteraren

The laptop is still on, guess it will die anytime soon

Attached Files:

13. lynx1021

lynx1021

14. Hanteraren

Will have a look at it, I'll get back soon - thanks

Edit: It was the same drivers that was installed, but thanks :)

Now the laptop been on for some time, but a minute ago it turn off. I heard a CLICK and it died. Like a RCD, if you know what that is

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  15. Hanteraren

The laptop has been on over night, around 12 hours by now and it's still alive. I don't dare to restart or shut it down. This is really weird

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1227224

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice