1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

brand new laptop takes 5 min to boot up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wilnotlendpc, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wilnotlendpc

wilnotlendpc Thread Starter

i just got a new gateway mt3705 laptop, it takes close to 5 minutes to boot up and another 3-4 minutes to shut down. i just recently switched from an aspire 9500 intel celeron so is it that I've been spoiled by the speedy acer or is this gateway just a cheap slug?

Gateway 14.1" Widescreen Notebook PC (MT3705)
    GTW MT3705
    • Intel Pentium Dual Core T2060
    • 100GB hard drive
    • Built-in wireless 802.11g • 1GB of DDR2 memory
    • Burns DVDs and CDs
    • Windows Vista Home Premium

any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

2. cmw2010

cmw2010

How long have you had it, did it do this from the very first time you booted it up or have you done anything such as add or remove any programs?

3. wilnotlendpc

hi
    i just got it yesterday, it took a very long time to set everything up and today i have started it three times today, keeping time on the last two times and both times it took close to 5 minutes. i shut down some of the startup programs but that did not help. it even takes a long time to shut down

4. cmw2010

cmw2010

Go into device manager and look under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, under the advanced settings of your "Primary IDE controller", what does it say under current transfer mode?

5. wilnotlendpc

I'm using windows vista (ugh!) i found device manager and under it there is IDE ATA/ATAPI when I click on that I get
    ATA Channel O
    ATA Channel 1
    Standard Dual Channel PCIDE Controller
    I press on properties for each one but there is nothing that says primary IDE controller or current transfer mode

6. cmw2010

cmw2010

Well, I would take it back to where ever it was that you got it and tell them it is not acceptable.

7. wilnotlendpc

i was thinking about that but i thought i'd get a second opinion
    i know start up varies by processor but for this particular pc, what would you say a normal start up time should be?

8. cmw2010

cmw2010

I am not sure with Vista but with XP startup times should be about 30-40 seconds.

9. cmw2010

cmw2010

One thing to try would be to go back into device manager and uninstall the IDE controller and then reboot, it will reinstall the controller. Then see if that fixes the problem.

10. deaglestudent

deaglestudent

Hey I just had one of those in my hands.

There is nothing wrong with the laptop... Vista works that way.... is made for people that have time to look at the screen, wait a lot for everything, answer retarded security questions twice, have plenty of compatibily issues and have a super computer just to run the Operating System.

I did an OS downgrade and installed XP Pro on it and now is lightning fast...

They won't give you any drivers for it and will tell you that there is not possible to do it because that laptop was made for Vista wich is not true, all the hardware that is in that laptop is being used before Vista was released.

Be aware that you warranty will be VOID if you downgrade the OS, I know it sounds retarded but it's true.

If you want the drivers for XP just look at the same exact laptop with a different name and hard drive size... MX3702. Get the drivers for that one and you are set.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540465

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice