1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

brand new lenovo e570 - cannot connect to wifi, ethernet ok

Discussion in 'Networking' started by sarky, Mar 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sarky

sarky Thread Starter

Hi,

Hoping you all can help solve this. Ordered a brand new E570 online (maybe that was my first problem) When I got it, I found I couldn't connect to wifi - either at home or at the office, but ethernet works just fine. It will find all the wifi connections in range and when I select mine and type in my password, it takes about 10-15 seconds before coming back with 'cannot connect to network' error message?!

After having someone from Lenovo helpdesk remote-in twice, it's been back to Lenovo both times, the first time they replaced the wifi card, the second time they ran tests and could connect. It was returned to me with a report that there was no problem detected and everything worked.

I thought it was maybe my wifi, so I disconnected and reconnected both my phone and my work laptop. I have also since installed 2 wifi thermostats and a smart tv, so I know my home router works and i've got the correct password.

The IT guy at the office suggested this, at the command prompt:

ipconfig /flushdns
    arp -d
    netsh winsock reset

After typing the ipconfig, I tried the other commands and they came back w a 'requires elevation' message ... but i don't have my laptop set up w administrator rights ... (which is what I think its asking?)

This is driving me insane. Any ideas?

thanks!

** edit** I've figured out how to run the above 3 commands from the admin command prompt but still get the same error message when I go to connect.

** edit #2 ** I've tried what was posted in this thread: https://forums.techguy.org/threads/...-internet-browesr-says-not-connected.1186089/ and still get the same results.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure you have the latest wireless driver from Lenovo's web site.

Are you able to connect with the router's encryption disabled?

What firewall or security suite is, or ever was, on the system?

3. sarky

sarky Thread Starter

Terry, thanks for your reply.

When the Lenovo guys remoted in, they both checked to make sure it had the latest drivers, which it did.

Apart from seeing if I could connect w the ethernet cable, I haven't used it at all, it still has the McAfee Livesafe it shipped with. Firewall ... whatever it shipped with I suppose. Would it help for this if I posted the sysinfo?

To disable the routers encryption, I suppose I'd have to log in and change them? Never done that.

Should I uninstall McAfee and see if that makes a difference?

thanks!

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
  5. sarky

sarky Thread Starter

sorry - been working crazy hours. Ok, I've uninstalled it. I still get the same error message though: unable to connect.

thanks

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Run the Removal tool a second time (Restart after each time to run it).

If still cannot connect see if you can connect with the router's encryption disabled.

7. sarky

sarky Thread Starter

ok, I tried and still no dice.

How would I disconnect the routers encryption? I guess I need to find the password they assigned 5+ years ago when they installed it (never mind that its probably time I upgraded to a better/more secure version?)

How is it possible that I can disconnect/reconnect all these other wifi enabled things and not have a problem? My new work laptop is also a lenovo, and I hda no problems connecting 4 months ago when I got it.

thanks.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    On my current router I would set "Security Mode" to "Disable." Often "Encryption Mode" or "Encryption Type" is used; often the setting is to "None." Sometimes other terminology is used.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1186263

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice