Brand new machine running slow

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

matty1stop

I just bought a low end compaq (specs below) as a 2nd PC but it seems to run fairly slow. A lot slower than my 3 year old Dell with XP. I was wondering if Vista is a slower OS, or the machine is too low end or you should run Vista on something with a little more memory or something.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

Processor Brand: Intel
Processor Class: Celeron D Processor
Processor Number: 356
Processor Speed: 3.33 GHz
Bus Speed: 533 MHz
L2 Cache Size: 512 KB
Memory Speed: PC2-4200 (533MHz)
Memory Technology: DDR2-SDRAM
Installed Memory: 512 MB
Memory Slots Total: 2
Memory Slots Available: 1
Hard Drive Capacity: 120 GB
Drive Controllers: SATA-300
Rotational Speed: 7200 RPM

matty1stop said:
Processor Class: Celeron D Processor

Installed Memory: 512 MB
  1. Pentium Celeron D Processors always ran slower than its counterparts at the same speed. (Pls correct me if I'm wrong)
  2. Vista needs 1GB to run smoothly.

Please post your graphics card model as well?

I'm no expert, but I've been told you should have a min of 1Gb Ram to avoid probs with Vista. It also uses around 15Gb for a new install.

matty1stop

Thanks for the info.

So I need to spend another $75 just to get my brand new machine to run the OS it came with? That's frustrating.

Here is my video card info

Video Chipset Brand: ATI
Video Chipset: Radeon Xpress 1100
Video Bus: PCI Express x16
Video Integration: Motherboard
Installed Video Memory: 64 MB
Total Available Graphics Memory (Vista): 128 MB

matty1stop

That's frustrating because those frauds at Compusa were selling it as a Vista machine.

Triple6

Rob
And it does run Vista, just poorly and Compusa got your money so thats what they care about.

The biggest thing to upgrade is the memory, you need a 1Gb for smooth operation of Vista. Adding more memory should also increase the shared video memory size to 256MB, if not you should be able to adjust that in the BIOS or the ATI Catalyst Control Center.

That'll leave your processor, and thats a harder and more expensive upgrade which you may not want too or need to do after upgrading the RAM.

Agreed. Upgrade RAM first - that's the cheapest and easiest to do. Then judge the performance. You should see a jump like how I did when I jumped from 128 to 384 mb when upgrading from ME to XP.

Do the graphics card next. I don't think u'd want to change the processor.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online