Brand new rig not reading DVDs, can't install windows

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ghostfire231

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/ghostfire231/saved/xRdypg Here are the parts.

I'm at wits end here. After finally plugging everything into the mobo and successfully making it to the BIOS screen, I finally fit the win 7 64 bit disc in. Unfortunately, when I tried to boot up I was prompted to insert boot media.

Next I decided to just install from USB. The USB booted just fine, but apparently you can't install win 7 on a skylake cpu without some convoluted, time-consuming work-around which I won't bother with.

I've spent 2 days now trying to figure out the problem, messing with different settings in BIOS, etc.

I finally decided to test my ASUS drive and the disc. I plugged the drive into my old computer, and tested the disc. They both work without a hitch so it can't be because of a faulty disc/optical drive.

Interestingly enough, swapping my OTHER dvd drive from my old computer into the new rig's mobo didn't work either. Still can't read the disk when installed in new case.
I've already made sure the DVD is recognized by BIOS and the drive has proper boot priority, and have tried numerous times to boot. I was told to check the jumpers but theres none on the drive. Just the data/power ports.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TL;DR optical drive is recognized by BIOS, isn't faulty, but can't read disks so I can't install an OS.

Last edited:

Triple6

Rob
Did you turn off Secure Boot and enable Legacy/CSM boot in the BIOS/UEFI? Gigabyte seems to call this Windows 8/10 Features according to the user manual:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5496#manual

Windows 8/10 Features Allows you to select the operating system to be installed. (Default: Other OS) & CSM Support Enables or disables UEFI CSM (Compatibility Support Module) to support a legacy PC boot process. Enabled Enables UEFI CSM. (Default) Disabled Disables UEFI CSM and supports UEFI BIOS boot process only. This item is configurable only when Windows 8/10 Features is set to Windows 8/10 or Windows 8/10 WHQL.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online