1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Brand New System - drives not recognised

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fairstar, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fairstar

Fairstar Thread Starter

e6600 Core 2 Duo
    2GB DDR2 667
    ASUS P5VD2-X
    320GB - WD3200AAJB-0
    18X PIONEER DVD-RW
    ATI Radeon X1050

No O/S
    No FDD

Hi - I bought this brand new system on eBay from a reputable seller about 2 weeks ago and still haven't been able to use it.

I bought it without an O/S as I don't trust Vista with my peripherals and XP-Pro works just fine. It formatted OK and then at the 39min mark in the Windows setup - FATAL ERROR. Installation failed: D:\l386\asms. Incorrect function. Data error - cyclic redundancy check.

Now when it restarts - the message at the start reads "Detect drives done - no any drives found." then it tries to resume Windows setup and the cycle starts again.

The drives are recognised OK as the Primary (DVDRW) and Secondary (HDD) masters in bios - what on earth is going on here ?

Now it's got a half complete Windows setup - any ideas before I take more drastic measures ?

2. pehbond

pehbond

if i was in your shoes i would do another format using disk killer then after i had done that chekc all drive cables (ide cables) then make sure that teh bios is ok by pressing del during setup and seeing if they ate listed in the bios then continuing on with the reinstallation of the OS. you could of had a bad sector on the hdd that may have failed the installation but try this out

3. MaverickUK

MaverickUK

Do you have more than one RAM module installed? If so, try installing Windows with just one installed.

4. Fairstar

Fairstar Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your reply pehbond - 6 days on I had just about lost faith in this forum with plenty of looks but not much else.

My only concern about opening the box is peeling off the magic sticker which voids all warranty. The seller said send it back with the XP disk but I just don't like sending the disk off into the wide world if there is an easier fix.

Sorry - but what is "disk killer" and how would I start another format? Google describes disk killer as a nasty virus and plenty of other warnings.

5. Fairstar

Fairstar Thread Starter

Thanks Maverick - I guess the question is - from what is described do you think this is most likely to be a hardware issue ? If so - back it goes under warranty. I was led to believe and there seems to be others with similar problems - this may be a bios / firnware fix / dirty disk whatever - and i'm sure you guys understand - you just like to fix these things (and learn) yourself if at all possible.

6. MaverickUK

MaverickUK

If its under warranty, back it goes! Ask them to pre-install Windows for you, too.

7. Fairstar

Fairstar Thread Starter

Thanks for that - only prob. was they would only do Vista which I didn't want.

8. MaverickUK

MaverickUK

Okay, in that case, ask them to pre-install Vista (just so we know all hardware is infact working et al) - if it costs extra for the Vista installation, then i guess you should not waste money on this test. However, send it back and once it is back and known to be working you can try installing XP again.

9. pehbond

pehbond

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/597169

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice