1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Brand New System Freezes Randomly but Consistantly...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ZZy, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ZZy

ZZy Thread Starter

Hi guys, for christmas I got a new motherboard and quad-core cpu to match. It worked great for about a day but now it will freeze and loop the last sound played extremely often and I have no idea what the problem is. It dosn't matter what im doing, weather it be playing a high graphics rpg or simply browsing the web. Everything locks up. It will even freeze before the OS has loaded. (problem at bios level?) I know its not a temperature problem because the pc never is: A on for very long before it happens, B hot when it happens, and my alarm never goes off. When i got the system i did a fresh install of windows 7. Can any one tell me wahts going on?

AMD Athlon II X4 2.81Ghz
    Gigabyte M68MT-D3 Motherboard (w/ F2 Bios)
    2Gb of ram
    32-bit Windows 7 1920x1080
    Nvidia 8800GT

2. uataneja

uataneja

After completing the fresh install, did you make sure to update drivers for all your components? Your system sounds built, so I would recommend going into the device manager and looking at your components to make sure all drivers are up to date. I would also do google searches on driver updates for your components, even if the properties tab shows the driver to be the most recent.

Check your sound drivers especially, since you seem to have a sound issue.

3. ZZy

ZZy Thread Starter

yep, all drivers are up to date. :(

4. AGTT

AGTT

I don't remember very well, as it was about three years ago, but that was happening to me too then. It was happening when I used the copmuter intesily, like playing games, causing a system freeze, and the last sound which was outputing, was looping loudly and frequently.

It did go away, but I don't remember if it was because I was using the integrated video card, or because of having installed and uninstalled namy programs, having probably many registry errors, leading to system instability, or even because of my default power supply unit.

But, if I remember well, it would continue even after I would reinstall windows.

So, I'm not sure what to think.
    Just to mention, my recently installed windows would not boot up after just finising installing, or not even, when booting up for the first time (when "setup is preparing the computer for first use").

But, after I disconnected all my peripherals (external devices, like USB, FireWire etc), windows booted up as it should. At the next reboot or so, I reattached all peripherals, and all their drivers would install automatically, and I would install the ones which none could be found, from its disc. The sequentials reboots went well, as well.

That being said, I have a few questions for you:
    -I presume you installed add-on software; so, did everyting go well?; did all setup of installed software finish without any errors?

-How often, in average, does your computer freeze? Mine only did under more than regular load.

Did you change only the motherboard, using the previous components from the old PC you had, like hard disk drives, power supply unit, etc, or did you buy new ones, for this PC, still using the other one?

A failing HDD or PSU could be a possibilty of the cause, even though the SMART test passed, or if the PSU show no signs of fatigue.
    So, what I would do, is eliminate as many components from the equation as possible, to try to find the problematic spot. I suggest disconnecting all peripherals and internal components from the board, leaving only the PSU, Video Card, RAM, Optical Drive, if you want, and the disk drives, or, if possible, only the OS drive. Then try using, letting the computer run for a while, stressing it as much as you can without the usual components, and see how it goes.
    But, if all your components are new, not speaking about peripherals, which should still be removed, just in case, for a test run, then they should be OK, and not cousing the problem.

I still suspect a software issue at the OS level, not at the BIOS level, like a driver, a registry error, or such, like "uataneja" mentioned.

By chance, did you overclock your CPU, GPU, or RAM. This deffinitely would be causing the issue.

To test CPU stabilty, I recommend Stress Prime 2004. Just choose the "Small FFTs - stress CPU" option from the drop-down menu, running one instance of it for each core you have. This just runs your processing cores at full capacity indefinitely (until you stop it, or until somthing happens), to see if the processor can run at the overclocked speed for lenghty periods of time.

Try to run the computer with basic components, and see what happens. Please reply your results, as well as answer the questions, as it would provide more details.

Just to mention, I am a beginner myself, so don't count on me that much on success, I'm just presuming places where the problem might lie.

Thanks.

PS: What kind of alarm are you mentioning? Do you mean the PC beeping?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972876

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice