1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

brand new system keeps locking up/crashing

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by maximaaa, Nov 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maximaaa

maximaaa Thread Starter

Hello. I just bought this system 2 days ago, loaded win98 SE and it keeps locking up/freezing, crashing and giving me fatal errors.
    once i tried to change my screen saver and it froze.
    The only way to use it again is by pressing the reset button and rebooting. I tried to copy a dvd to my HD and 15mins into the process I get the blue error screen saying something about my vcache.
    A few times the screen goes black w/ just green lines at the very top of the screen. no way to get it to work unless i hit the reset button.
    I have a 1.2g AMD athlon cpu w/ a thermo engine cpu/heatsink and 2 case fans, ECS k7S5A MB, 40gig 7200 HD, 256megs of DDR memory, 32mb nvidia video card, integrated sound card, a cheap modem (pc tel) and a liteon 16x dvd player.
    It locks up almost everytime I use it, sometimes even when i'm shutting it down.
    Can somebody please help me. Are there any settings that I need to check.
    Any help would be geatly appreciated.
    I'm going out of my mind here w/ this computer.

2. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

If you bought this system two days ago. Don't try to fix it. Take it back and get a refund. Don't take no for an answer. You have the right . Get a different system.
    I returned a three day old Compaq last year. No questions were asked. It never ran right.

3. maximaaa

maximaaa Thread Starter

can you at least tell me if it's the O/S or the Motherboard.
    I installed the o/s myself but it's the same one I used for my old system and it worked fine.
    Again, any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59859

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice