1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Brand new video card working... suddenly no longer detected

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Carpot Muncher, May 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Carpot Muncher

Carpot Muncher Thread Starter

brand new video card working... suddenly no longer detected

finally went out and got the finishing touch today, a new graphics card.

ASUS EAH4850 1GB HDMI
    http://au.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=...14&modelmenu=1

Put it in, loaded drivers from disc, then loaded new drivers (downloaded from ASUS website, specifically for this product). In retrospect, I now realize that I should have uninstalled the old first prior to loading the latest, but I think that is moot at this point (for reasons below).

So rebooted, switched the monitor signal plug from the on-board graphics to the new card, configured settings, then was curious to see what it could do, so started trying out a 3D game.

Everything seemed to be working fine, spent about an hour then all of the sudden, screen went black. Was not a hard crash, I thought it was at first, but the computer was not shutting down, so I realized I had just lost video.

So I shut it down, then switched back to the onboard graphics, booted up and then one of the supporting softwares that came bundled with the card which starts up on system start up popped up a window saying that the device was not detected. Apparently Vista is not detecting it. Though the fan on the vid card still spins, and the LEDs flash when I power down or up (I have a window on my case so can see it).

So shut down, opened case, double checked that it was in the PCIe slot firmly, double checked the auxiliary power connection. Then plugged the monitor cable back into the card, booted up, and still no video. Each time booting up wold again get teh window from supporting software (a temp monitor for the vid card) that there was no device detected.

So did some research, uninstalled all graphics drivers completely (using Vista's control panel "programs and features" to do it). Including for the on-board ATI 3300. Rebooted and now the device manager no longer shows the new graphics card device either.

So I verified that both vid card and mainboard make use of PCIe2 (as opposed to PCIe1):
    http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Pro...nuID=1&LanID=0

I checked my power requirement according to the eXtreme calculator:
    http://g.imagehost.org/view/0798/Untitled_6
    The result is 337 W * 30% Factor of Safety = 438 W
    So I think that the PSU is ok.

I read this:

"...All pci-e power supplies must have 26amps on the 12v rail , and be 80%+ efficient , only variance is wattage..."

I don't know exactly how to interpret the specs on my PSU, here is my spec sheet for PSU:
    http://www.acbel.com/PDF/P_PC/SingleiPower-560.jpg
    I think it means I have only 18 Amps on the 12 volt rails, but perhaps that is offset by having three 12 volt rails(?)

I have two 6+2 pin aux connectors for vid cards coming from my PSU, so I just tried swapping them (thinking that perhaps I somehow damaged the circuit of the first by attempting to draw too much power). No luck, the vid card is still not detected (no plug-n-play new hardware found window, nor is it shown in the device manager where it was when I originally installed it). The fan and LEDs on it are still working.

I also tried the 4-pin connector that plugs into the M-board near the PCIe slots - just quickly plugged a spare fan in on one of the other 4 pins form the same branch, it spun, and I think that's a parallel circuit so that one should have power too.

Then I turned off my onboard video in order to attempt to force Vista to detect my card at the PPCIe slot. That didn’t work so am now without any video. I will reset the cmos in order to restore bios defaults to recover the onboard video.

After that I will try installing the card into the second PCIe slot – the mainboard manual does not give any indication as to which one to use if using a single vid card, so perhaps switching slots will help.

Any other ideas/suggestions sa to how to get Vista to detect my new graphics card again?

Thanks

2. BG-0

BG-0

Your power supply propably just blew the graphics card. If you keep on fiddling with it, it will propably take down a lot else too. According to the specs it would be sufficient to run the card at ease, but it would seem it is faulty, as well as being the middle class of PSUs, not really good, not really horrible, not too reliable but propably not the worst in that aspect either..

Another obvious thing that might've happened is a faulty card, but I'd doubt that.

Note that even if you now replace the power supply with a good one, it's not certain to make things work properly. There may be serious damage that the PSU did to other parts of the computer...

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

I agree that sounds like the psu caused that and the first thing I would also do is replace it.

4. Carpot Muncher

Thanks for the replies.

I was able to recover my on-board video by resetting CMOS (remove battery, use jumper).

I then tried out the second PCIe slot – same result, vid card not detected. Used Control Panel “Add hardware” wizard to try to detect it, no luck.

I guess that my only option is to return the vid card, though will be tough to negotiate an exchange or refund here (I’m in Vietnam and my language skills are lacking in tech jargon).

Its difficult to accept that this PSU was the source of the problem after running through the “eXtreme calculator” and reading up some details on PSUs – guess I didn’t read closely enough. One would think that components such as this (high-end vid card) would come with some overly obvious warnings about PSU compatibility, given their cost and the numerous subpar PSUs in the marketplace. I'll follow your advice, assume this one is faulty and replace it with a new, higher end model.

I have a very limited selection of PSU here. Could you please suggest which of the PSU below you would select and tell me why? I definitely don’t want to put my components in jeopardy, but at the same time, I am on a pretty tight budget. Thus, I’ve highlighted the PSUs which I am hopeful will be satisfactory, according to expert opinion.
    Power sources available locally and their current prices:

$76 Power Cooler Master 600 W
    $85 Power Cooler Master 650 W
    $147 Power Cooler Master M 620 W
    $124 Power Cooler Master 650 W Real Pro
    $175 Power Cooler Master M 700 W
    * $145 Power Cooler Master 750 W Real Pro
    $211 Power Cooler Master 850 W Real Pro
    $251 Power Cooler Master 1000 W Real Pro
    * $135 Power Corsair 650 TX
    * $155 Power Corsair 750 TX

Links to mfr specs of preferred PSUs(based on budget and availability):

* $145 Power Cooler Master 750 W Real Pro (14 Amps ea on 4 12v rails) http://www.coolermaster.com/products/product.php?act=detail&id=2552

* $135 Power Corsair 650 TX (52 Amps on one 12 v rail)
    * $155 Power Corsair 750 TX (60 Amps on one 12v rail)
    http://www.corsair.com/products/tx/default.aspx

Other component specs in my system:
    CPU: AMD Phenom X3 Triple Core X3-8650
    Mainboard: ECS A790GXM-A
    RAM: (two cards) 2 GB DDR2 (total 4 GB)
    Vid Card: Asus EAH4850 1gb HDMI (or other, if this one is truly dead)
    HDD: (three HDDs) Seagate Barracuda 80 GB 7200 ms

5. Carpot Muncher

I took the vid card back to the shop, had them test it, and they couldn’t get it to work either. So they exchanged it for a new one. (y)

I picked up a new PSU while there, the Corsair 750 TX. :)

Unfortunately won’t have time to build it tonight as I have to go traveling for a few days, but maybe that’s for the best. Because rather than immediately throw all of this stuff together and possibly have the same result again (vid card not working), I’d like to think about this (solicit experts in these forums for their ideas).

Faulty PSU was suggested and may very well be the root cause, and so I’ve replaced/upgraded that.

And perhaps it was just a defective vid card that went out after an hour’s worth of use, not related to the rest of my system.

But what about the mainboard? Could the mainboard have somehow damaged that vid card? If so, is there any simple process I could follow to check the mainboard? :confused:

6. BG-0

BG-0

The 650TX would've been a lot more than enough too, but now you'll have a PSU for your next build too...

Mainboard. It could, of course have been the problem, as nothing has been really troubleshooted yet. "Intentionally" killing another, low-end graphics card could reveal flaws in the PCI-E slots or power regulators etc of the motherboard (which I could assume to see with an ECS board). Hope that you find some other, safer and more accurate way to test it... If it is in fact faulty, I would suggest getting the Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P in its place, shouldn't cost a lot more, and is 250% more reliable.

Ooor if you want AM3 capability and propably support for the next series of AMD desktop CPUs, GA-MA790GP-UD4H ;)

7. Carpot Muncher

Thanks BG-0

Unfortunately, there is next to no selection out here for relatively new model mainboards. Nearly everything is two year old technology. I was looking to get some mainboard with chipsets at least not more than a year old. And the only such products were two boards, both manufactured by ECS. Checked multiple shops, including the best here.

So I installed the old vid card (Geforce 6800 LE (256MB)), loaded up some 3d heavy applicatinos, panned, spun, and zoomed around for a couple of hours to give the vid card/pcie slot a good workout. no problems so far (other than lag due to the vid card not being sufficient). But wnat to test this more thoroughly. This old card doesn't require any auxiliary power, and is much lower end, so might not be able to test well enough.

Any suggestions on how I could more thoroughly test this board with the setup I currently have?

Thanks

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/827448

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice