1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Brand new xp PC very slow???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shaheemadrid, Oct 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shaheemadrid

shaheemadrid Thread Starter

Hi,
    i have a PC with duo core E 4600,2 Gb RAM,160gb memory and windows xp pro as the operating system.But the problem is that this is much slower than a normal PC and the only change i notice here is that out of 160 gb memory 76gb has RAW file system.So what can i do to speed up my PC?Please reply fast.

2. Specsnow

Specsnow

Hi there,

I'd first go into the Add/Remove programs and remove anything you will not use. Then I'd increase the page file (Control Panel>System>Advanced>Performance Settings>Advanced>Virtual Memory). Make it at least 2048 MB for your system. Next, I'd turn off some of the visual effects, in the same window as the page file settings (the first tab called Visual Effects).

Also, check if you have Norton or McAfee for anti-virus. If you do, I'd recommend getting a new virus program and ditching that one. It makes your PC run much slower than normal. Try AVG instead.

Hope this helps.

3. shaheemadrid

shaheemadrid Thread Starter

Thanks for your help but the virtual memory is already 2046Mb and the antivirus i use is kaspersky 7.0.Moreover the computer seems to take more than 5 minutes to boot.Moreover the visual effects has been turned off.So what should i do next?Is their something to do with RAW file system?

4. Specsnow

Specsnow

I wouldn't worry about the RAW file system too much. More than likely, that is just a backup partition set up by the manufacturer of your computer. If it still runs slow even after the effects were turned off, and the page file is that big, chances are there is something wrong with your hard drive. Run a disk defragment utility (Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools). Also, I'd run a Disk Cleanup too, which is in the same place. If after both of those, it still runs slow, I'd call the manufacturer and let them know how slow it is and they will likely send you a new hard drive, and/or new RAM.

5. Compiler

Compiler

No manufacture stores 76GB (GIGABYTES) of information on a hard drive. 2-3GB is for XP, (10~15GB for Vista) and about 4~10GB for system restore area for new computers.

A computer with that spec should boot up in about 30 seconds.

Need to check for drive errors. Righ click on your HD, and select Properties. Then click on tool tab. HD drive check and defrag are right there.

If PC is brand new, relplace ASAP.

6. valis

valis Moderator

on the contrary, I'd be concerned about the raw format in great detail. No mfg is going to create a +10 gig recovery partition, and if they did, it certainly wouldn't be in raw format, as that is inaccessible from windows.

May want to do some reading there, Specs....:)

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I agree; 5 min to boot is too long. If the system is new, then return it. If you start opening the case to check parts, etc; you may invalidate your warranty.

8. Specsnow

Specsnow

I have seen a few manufacturers use partitions in excess of 30+GB in RAW format. They do this solely because it cannot be accessed by Windows, and therefor is not vulnerable to viruses or ignorant users that can corrupt or delete anything. The file system is usually accessible by a pre-boot program implemented into the BIOS. The size of the partition is irrelevant. It all depends on what programs the manufacturer included aside from the basic Windows image.

May want to do some reading there, valis...

9. valis

valis Moderator

got a link there, specs?

10. mt2002

mt2002

I think I am going to agree with crjdriver here and get a new one. RAW isn't a filesystem type; its raw data. I personally never seen any manufacturer create a partition like that..

11. valis

valis Moderator

that would be my recommendation as well. I've seen enough hard drives that have cratered that have reformatted themselves into raw format; I'm slowly learning how to get data off of that format, but it's not easy, and definitely not fun.

FWIW, I've never, in all the thousands of pc's that I've come into contact with, seen one ship with ANY amount of the hd in a .raw format. Recovery console, yes; but .raw? Never.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757129

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice