1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Brave Sentry - Spyware... Safe Mode reboot results in a blank screen

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by summer.set, Jun 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. summer.set

summer.set Thread Starter

Hello,

I just wanted to say 'thank you' in advance for any recommendations that you can provide.

My computer was infected with the "Brave Security" spyware removal program last night. The small red icon with a white 'x' popped up in the right hand toolbar displaying a warning message, the Task Manager was disabled, the computer slowed down considerably, I had trouble connecting to the Internet and the desktop wallpaper changed to a black background with a"Your Computer is in Danger" warning in the lower right hand corner.

I didn't realize that this infection was an entire 'program' so I tried to fix it on my own (before I ran across this website). I managed to uninstall the "Brave Security" program from the Program files and I also ran the Microsoft Anti-spyware program which detected and removed some of the Trojans and spyware files.

Just to be safe, I did a search on the Internet and I found the following website: http://www.pchell.com/support/spyaxe.shtml. I followed the first recommendation to download the following programs on to my desktop, extracting and install them.
    SmitRem by NoahdFear - Tool to remove Spyaxe, SpySheriff, PSGuard, WinHound, and other issues
    Ewido Anti-Malware - Highly recommended anti-malware, anti-spyware program
    HijackThis 1.99.1 - Essential tool for finding spyware, virus, trojan, and other problems
    CCleaner - Free tool for removing temporary files, cookies, history, and cleaning up registry problems
    Killbox - useful program to delete files that are "in use" by Windows preventing normal deletion

Then I tried to reboot my computer in Safe Mode using the System Configuration Utility method for Windows XP.

However, when the computer restarted, all I saw was a blank black screen. There was no signal input detected by the monitor. I tried to tap F8 repeatedly but did not receive a response so I don't have the "HijackThis" log.

Is there anything that can be done to 'fix' this? I should also mention that I have two computers that are networked/linked. Will the second computer become infected?

I would greatly appreciate any advice that you could provide!

2. blkwlnt64

blkwlnt64

For an easier way to get to safe mode go to
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/bootsafe.html
    dl bootsafe and install to your desktop.
    Double click on the Bootsafe icon and you will see all the options tapping PF8 would give you.

3. boxcar mike

boxcar mike

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME AND MAY YOU BE ABLE TO HELP ME I HAVE THIS PROBLEM TOO. BUT I CAN NOT GET EVERYTNING OUT. THE RED X IS STILL THERE AND SCREEN BLUE AND SOME NET PAGES WILL NOT COME UP. HOW DO I CLEAN THIS ALL UP PLS
    Mike

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/475423

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice