1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Breakdown and recovery. Has it worked?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by docusk, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. docusk

docusk Thread Starter

My computer suffered a major breakdown about 10 days ago and I mean Major.
    I couldn’t access the main hard drive at all and the message was files corrupted and cannot be accessed.
    My second HD carried most of my data files and Word documents plus other databases etc. but still a lot of really important stuff was still on the main drive. Despair.
    I finally found that the lad who does all the tech. stuff for me had some Data Recovery software. I hotfooted it over to his place with the HD in my bag and he then managed to access it. He said that there was NO FILE SYSTEM on the disk. Is that a clue? How could have been operating for a year or more?
    Upshot is that he got almost all my lost data. He then formatted the HD and transferred my files from his machine to the newly formatted HD now with NTFS file system on it. The main disk files were cleared into his computer and then formatted with Win XP Pro.
    Belt & braces us Brits - He also put my files on to a few DVD s.
    I now have the big HD in the computer as the second HD with one external drive fitted but that has a part-empty 80 Gb HD.
    At first it all worked well but there are a couple of mysteries which you may be able to help with.
    Yesterday, I tried to download Mozilla-Firefox. It went almost to the end and then the whole machine froze! I had to press the reboot button to get back.
    I found there was still a rectangular blue box on the desktop with the Avast logo and "firefox.exe" in it. So.
    I removed the Mozilla browser in CTRL panel and then took out all the references linked to Mozilla etc, in the registry. Still didn't work but I did a full Avast virus scan (latest updates) and it's still there. Oh, it did change when I tried to add an address book group to OE, the box moved up the screen and had "new group " inside it. Late last night I download Lavasoft Ad-aware and ran it and the blue box had gone. What could that have been?
    The Avast virus scan removed 3 instances of Win 32 Trojano-3384
    Has something really bad gone wrong again. Funny things happened when entering data into info boxes during attempts to access my web pages. The entries skittered across the data input box with strings of white spaces.
    Just moving from the opening forums screen, to this one, caused the skittering again, not for more than a few seconds but it still has me worried.

In danger of men-in-white-coats-taking-me-away!

docusk

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540149

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice