1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bricked my Linksys WRT54 G Router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by cap2587, Apr 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cap2587

cap2587 Thread Starter

I tried to update to DD-WRT firmware on a Linksys WRT 54G Router V6 and now I cannot access the router. I tried to flash it with VXWorks-killer : WRT54G v5,v5.1,v6 1st. It looked like it worked and then after a hard reset I got a page that said Management Update Page, accept, reset. To be honest I did not research exactly how to pull off this firmware upgrade and this caused me to fail. I did not realize how complex the procedure was and watching 2 Youtube video's just didn't cut it. When I tried to access the router using 192.168.1.1 I wasn't able to. I was reading this article http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Recover_from_a_Bad_Flash however some of the article is just over my head. I was given the router, therefore I am not that worried if it is now unusable. I am just disappointed I could not succeed with the firmware upgrade. I have a flashing power light on my router. How can I know for sure if my router is beyond repair. What are some steps to follow to determine this. What is the best article, link or video explaining how to perform this firmware upgrade. Thanks for any helpful information.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I suggest you visit the DD-WRT forums and see if someone there has a solution, they're far better equipped to potentially help you with this issue.

3. cap2587

cap2587 Thread Starter

sounds like a good Idea. Thanks

4. JohnWill

I don't mean to chase you away, but I'm sure this issue comes up all the time in their support forums. :)

5. cap2587

cap2587 Thread Starter

I can't give everyone on this forum enough praise. Whenever I post there is always plenty of people giving me great advice on how to solve my problems. Deferring to DD-WRT forums for my issue was a good strategy. Thanks

6. JohnWill

I'm going to guess they had some ideas? Did you get it working?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919068

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice