1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bridge Dialup with High Speed??

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dialbridge, Oct 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dialbridge

dialbridge Thread Starter

Is there a way to bridge or simultaneously use dialup and high speed? I need dial up as a backup to satellite internet (for bad weather etc.) and would like to just have them both on at the same time pulling data together.

2. pedroguy

pedroguy

Sorry if I am missing something here,but couldn't you just run your existing phone line into the existing modem port on your pc,and use that for your dial out connection to your dialup isp?
    I have cable broadband and dialup connection and there seems to be no conflict.
    If you are using both connections at the same time,I would think that your download speed might be degraded.

3. dialbridge

Yeah that is what I am trying to get around. - I want to use both of them at the same time, where the download speed would be the maximum available. - If the high speed was on, it would download at the higher speed and/or combine the two. If the high speed was not working, it would just download at dial up speeds.

4. pedroguy

pedroguy

Ok.Then does my suggestion work for you?

5. dialbridge

I would think it would, I just wanted to double check as I don't have dialup right now. If that does work, I would get it.

If you connect on dialup and have your high speed turned on, what do you download at? The high speed rate? Is this something you could try and post the results on?

Also you could start a download and then in mid download, dislable the high speed and see if the dialup takes over right away without any delay?

Thanks for the help.

6. pedroguy

pedroguy

My broadband download is about 10mbps,and my dialup connect speed is about 50k.While I was writing this,just to check,I started a dialup session.
    On your second question,my feeling is that disable high speed in the middle of a download,you would have to initiate the download from scratch on dialup. These are Two separate sessions.

7. dialbridge

Okay, thanks! If you find anyway to get the connections to work together let me know.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I think a solution to this would be an answer to a question that should never have been asked! :D

The small additional speed that a dial-up connection could yield, even if you get it working, would not be measurable. If the broadband failed, as pointed out, you'd have to reconnect to the site in question anyway, since it would be a different IP address.

9. dialbridge

Its not about a performance gain from dialup - its about not losing the data I am pulling in if the the high speed drops off.

I was able to come up with a solution anyway.

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Please, by all means, share the solution. Now I'm curious. :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/633268

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice