Bridge or wireless extender?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

warrenbrandt

Hi guys i have been charged with the responsibility of extending a wifi network for a couple of android tablets.
im using two of these devices:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mikrotik-5...ocphy=1007835&hvtargid=pla-556033960216&psc=1

I tried setting one up as a wireless extender, and although my laptop worked on it. My Android tablets didnt.
what should i be looking to do?
setup one as an extender?
or setup a bridge?

my general IT skills are not bad, though I have never setup anything like this, i usually just run a cable to an access point. But this is not possible here.

any tips or suggestiions would be welcomed

thanks for reading.

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
You need to provide more details as to the physical layout of the location you're looking to provide wireless connectivity and the current network equipment you're using.

Using any extender/range booster/repeater is the worst thing you can do to any wireless network. Those devices would be the utter last thing one would use when all other options have been exhausted.

An AP acting as a bridge means you're providing a wireless backbone connection to some location where you will be breaking out the network into a wired connection. This would not be applicable to your situation.

TerryNet

Terry
although my laptop worked on it. My Android tablets didnt.
what should i be looking to do?
In addition to the info requested by zx10guy tell us what you know about "didnt work." Got an error trying to connect? Seemed to connect but really didn't? Etc.?

warrenbrandt

No error, just no internet on my wifi icon. I think maybe WDS will be a better solution. Yes xz10guy i dont need wired clients on the other side so a bridge isnt neccesary.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online