1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bridgeing connections.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Nirvana728, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nirvana728

Nirvana728 Thread Starter

Hey, me and my buddy are trying to bridge our connections. Currently I have my cable modem Ethernet cord plugged into my onboard Ethernet slot. I than have another ethernet cord running from my network card into my friends onboard ethernet slot. I try to bridge the connection under my network connections, and it does, but neither of us can get online. I have to delete the bridge to get my computer back to get on the internet, think anyone can help? thanks :)

2. Nirvana728

Nirvana728 Thread Starter

Any help?

3. invalidusername

invalidusername

You may need to also enter the route command in your computer which is like this:

To establish a route so that a computer on one network can send a message to a computer on a different network, enter:
    route add 192.100.201.7 mask 255.255.255.0 192.100.13.7
    The 192.100.201.7 address is that of the receiving computer (your buddy's computer). The 192.100.13.7 address is that of the routing computer (your computer that connects to internet).

In the above example, use the correct IP address of both LAN cards in your and your buddy's .

For more information, see here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/route.mspx?mfr=true

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    From the Tips for using our Site:

"NO ANSWER? If you don't get a response to your question quickly, give it some time! Remember that volunteers are not always available to answer your question. If a day or so goes by without a response, DO NOT start a new thread! Simply find your old one and reply back with the word "bump." This will bring your question back to the top of the list."

After an hour your thread will still be pretty near the top of the list. :)

I'll assume that you are attempting to do this as a temporary measure while your buddy is visiting.

If you want to connect 2 computers that way you need two public IP addresses from your ISP. Some cable companies will provide additional IP addresses for a monthly charge.

Using Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) or using a broadband router are the preferred ways. With the latter being more preferred.

5. invalidusername

invalidusername

6. invalidusername

invalidusername

I would add to the above:

Only a very few are here on weekends. If you want fast respone, visit the site in early morning hours of the weekdays, USEastern time zone.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Thanks for that link, invalidusername. I did not realize that

"Tip
    You might have multiple adapters installed because you have a NIC that connects to a broadband Internet connection device, such as a DSL or cable modem. These adapters cannot be bridged."

If that tip is true, then forget what I said about obtaining multiple IP addresses from your ISP; it won't work anyhow. My guess, though, is that the tip is not completely true and my original statement still holds.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/593043

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice