1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

bridging a network connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by gwendes, Aug 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gwendes

gwendes Thread Starter

Now I think that's what I want to do. Basically this has been a tricky one to google so once again I call on TechGuy.org!

I Have two PCs in the bedroom now (before you get too worried it's a spare room!) and I've been running my website off IIS. I want to have a play with Linux and I am currently installing a LAMP server on one to eventually transfer it over and learn some basic php. The computer that has always been there is wireless and is also a file server so I can't retire it completely. Can I bridge the wireless connection to the new Linux server and have both running?

Do I need to do something completely different? I'd like to avoid buying additional hardware...

Any suggestions?

2. JonathanAnon

JonathanAnon Banned

I have exactly the same setup in my bedroom. I have a Linux LAMP server and have it connected to my own PC wirelessly. I find your email a bit confusing, bridging is the wrong term for what you are trying to do for a start, but it is possible for you to have all of the computers on the same wifi or cabled network.

You just need to assign them IP addresses in the same range and connect them to the same ad-hoc network (unless you have an access point). Only thing that I would say to you is getting the wifi card to work with Linux took me about two days. They dont usually come with Linux drivers.

3. gwendes

gwendes Thread Starter

Sorry I don't think I was clear. I already have a Windows XP PC in the bedroom and this is wirelessly connected to the router downstairs. My gf would kill me if I ran cable!

I want to somehow connect the new Linux server to the XP PC and share it's wireless through a wired NIC on each, is this possible?

4. JonathanAnon

JonathanAnon Banned

Okay you're again gonna need to be clearer "share it's wireless through a wired NIC on each" ??

Let me get this straight -
    1. Your router downstairs is a broadband router that you connect to with the Windows XP machine over wifi for Internet access?
    2. You want to connect the Linux server to the Windows PC with a wired NIC, and then use the XP machine to share Internet access to the Linux PC?
    Is this is?

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "I want to somehow connect the new Linux server to the XP PC and share it's wireless through a wired NIC on each, is this possible?"

Yes. Per your title, bridge the two connections in Network Connections on the XP. I haven't used Linux, but as a test I've connected a Windows PC on the other end of the ethernet cable, and it works.

EDIT: If neither ethernet port is auto-sensing (MDI/MDIX) you need a cross-over cable.

6. JonathanAnon

JonathanAnon Banned

Oh yeah I heard bridging used in that contect as well.

But, I think it might be easier if you just get the wifi working in the Linux box and use all of the devices over wifi. Save you having to get extra wired NICs as well. Though, as i said, it could be a bit of work to get the Linux box working over wifi.

7. gwendes

gwendes Thread Starter

That was another thing that I meant to ask, I can make a peice of crossover easily enough though.

Thanks guys

8. gwendes

gwendes Thread Starter

I'm going open this up again as my next question (brain has been engaged again) links in with this...

Now that I have completed the server installation I was wondering about an old router I have knocking about. Would it be possible to disable DHCP and use this to connect an xbox in the real bedroom (running XBMC) as well as the server?

Like this:

Wired network<->Wireless router<->wireless PC<bridge>2nd router (DHCP off)<->XBOX/server

I know it's messy, but will it work?

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The second router would have to have the ability to operate in bridge or AP mode, many only operate in gateway mode. What make/model is the router you plan on using?

10. gwendes

gwendes Thread Starter

I'm going to experiment. The router is an old generic one that I piched when my dad upgraded to a rangemax.

I don't want the router to establish a connection, just behave as a switch between three 'PCs' upstairs and the internet connection coming from the bridge.

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I think the meaning in post #8 is to bridge the wireless and ethernet in the Network Connections of the "wireless PC." If this is what is meant, the answer is yes.

Disable the Dhcp server; assign a LAN address in the primary router's subnet but outside its Dhcp address range; connect the bridged PC to a LAN port with cross-over cable unless either port is auto-sensing.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490504

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice