1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bridging isent working on XP

Discussion in 'Networking' started by giuseppe1052, Apr 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. giuseppe1052

giuseppe1052 Thread Starter

I want to bridge my wireless connection to my laptop though my lan.

How do i do this?

I was reading around and it said somthing about my lan card neeading to say connected.. but how would it connect to a computer?

This is just so confusing.

Bridging works if i use Windows 7.

I tried using ICS but windows is stupid and uses the 192.168.0.1 and thats what my router runs off of.

Is there a way to hack windows to use a different IP or an application i can install to do the sharing for me? Anything at this point would help.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, if you want to use ICS, the easy way would simply be to change the router's base address to 192.168.2.1, that will avoid the conflict.

Bridging should work, let's see this from the machine.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD then press Enter to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

3. giuseppe1052

I run an old Di-524 i have no idea if its an i or an l but regardless i dont think this router allows you to change the ip.

O nvm i found it i hope no one in my house find out i did that XD. my bro will kill me. I will post back in a few minutes and tell you how it went.

4. giuseppe1052

k it worked. I still dont understand why bridging dosent work. How do i get it to connect to the other computer?

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I don't understand why bridging doesn't work either, but some folks have that issue. I've never had a computer here that it failed on so that I could track down why it failed. :)

Try resetting the stack on that XP machine and see if that helps when you try to bridge it.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2/SP3.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands, each followed by the Enter key:

Note: Type only the text in bold for the following commands.

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults, type: netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults, type: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reboot the machine.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918656

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice