1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bridging LAN and Dial up connections on Windows 7

Discussion in 'Networking' started by pauly-chops, Jan 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pauly-chops

pauly-chops Thread Starter

Ive been searching for the answer to this problem but no luck yet so Im hoping someone can help me out. Please excuse me if I dont use the correct terms, Im not fully up on internet lingo. I had a Sony Viao with Windows Vista for some years and I managed to create a bridge using the Sony Viao laptop and my o2 usb modem. That was some time ago and now I have a new laptop with Windows 7 and cannot remember the steps so can someone please help me out?

I have to mention that I do not have wireless connections. I have an o2 modem and an ethernet cable. They are the only two connections that show up in my internet connections. The LAN connection has an image of a ethernet cable connection while the o2 connection has an image of a phone. Im assuming this is a dial up connection. Im not sure.

Whenever I watch youtube walk throughs it never looks like my set up. Ive tried everything over and over. Turning off UAC, turning on sharing but nothing has worked yet. When I just select the LAN connection and right click there is an option to Bridge. When I right click the o2 connection its not there. When I select both the option isnt there either.

Can someone please help me out, Ive been through so many forums and walkthrough videos but no luck. I managed to bridge with Vista, it has to be doable!

Many thanks!

Attached Files:

2. pauly-chops

pauly-chops Thread Starter

Ive attached a screenshot of my network connections. Please note that I havnt connected my xbox. I just wanted to show how my o2 connection looks. It seems to be the problem!

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Unless you are paying for multiple public IP addresses on your mobile wireless bridging would do you no good anyhow because the other device(s) would not have an IP configuration.

Are you sure you used a bridge with your Vista? The normal thing when you are connected directly (not through a router) to internet access is to use Internet Connection Sharing (ICS).

No. Dial up means using a phone line. It's showing a phone image, I guess, because mobile wireless is similar to a cell phone.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084646

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice