Bridging Problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

AngelofDeth

I am having a problem with bridging. I am using a 80211.g wireless adapter, and bridging to a 100Mbit card to provide wired ethernet/internet to my other devices. It does work MOST the time, but what is happening is the bridging box will stop passing traffic for specific machines, until I PING the the bridging boxes IP. It seems this happens after so much time has passed with no internet traffic. On the unix boxes I just put in a crontab entry to ping the IP once a minute, but this won't work well for other systems I have. Anyone ever run into a problem like this? This particular XP system has automatic updates turned on, running SP2 etc and every other "critical" update.

TIA

PS. This was my first post, if this should have been in networking, sorry :) This seems to be a fault in XP, so I thought it might belong here.

are you using ICS Internet connection sharing ? also I am sure you have a router please tell us your model

AngelofDeth

natcom said:
are you using ICS Internet connection sharing ? also I am sure you have a router please tell us your model
I am using Bridging. I bridge the wi-fi adapter and network card together, its used instead of ICS. The wi-fi adapter is a linksys 802.11.g USB card, and it connects to a linksys WRT54G access point. I then have a 100Mbit Intel card, which connects to a switch, then the other pcs/devices plug into that switch. It then acts like if I was connected directly to the access point router. I can share the same subnet, and the local area network is just like its all one network. And like I said, it works perfectly most the time. Rebooting the system running bridging "fixes" it, or I have to ping it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online