1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

bridging wireless to wired

Discussion in 'Networking' started by rikster45, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rikster45

rikster45 Thread Starter

I have a Ferrari 4005 with built in wireless and wired network cards.
    I also have a PAP2 voip box for my home phone that is normally off of my main router.

Is it possible for me to instead attach the PAP2 adapter directly to my laptop and somehow bridge the connection to my internet via my laptops wireless card? And still have internet on my laptop?

So far what I have found says NO as the bridge capability in XP PRO cannot be used with the internet connection in my network connections, or else I would lose the internet connection that the laptop uses itself.

Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Not quite sure what you want to do. Connect laptop via ethernet to router? And then bridge the ethernet and wireless connections so other computer(s) can get internet access via wireless?

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I think you'll find the VoIP will really suck if you run it over a wireless connection, ESPECIALLY if you add ICS to the mix! It's possible to connect it that way, but I can almost guarantee that you won't like the results.

4. rikster45

rikster45 Thread Starter

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it would really kill any quality, but I'ld like to try it and see.

As for what I am trying to do:
    1) laptop wirelessly connected at 54Mbps to a hi speed internet connection
    2)attach VOIP adapter to ethernet port on laptop
    3)still have access to internet on laptop
    4)have my phone work thru my voip adapter

the voip adapter is set up so that all it has to do is see an internet connection for it to work

any ideas?

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    And/or you can try bridging the two connections, as you first suggested, in Network Connections. Some routers have a bug and will give the bridged connection (the voip) the same IP address as the laptop. Sometimes there is a router firmware update to fix; other times you have to assign a static IP (to the voip).

I doubt that the phone quality will be all that good, and have no idea whether ICS or bridging will be worse. Good luck, and let us know how it goes. :)

7. rikster45

rikster45 Thread Starter

thanx,
    it won't be for a week or 2 as I'll be camping....

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594663

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice